Video File Size

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by jcaswell, May 19, 2014.

1. jcaswell macrumors newbie

I have recently recorded a few short videos (30 - 40 Secs each on my iPhone, with the idea to use them on a blog. However, when I transferred them to my PC, they were HUGE. I mean really HUGE - between 35MB and 95MB each, for 30 - 40 seconds of video. Can this be right? All I want to do is to put them on the web

Is there any way of reducing their size - either when recording, or afterwards?

2. sumsingwong macrumors 6502

sumsingwong

You can use Handbrake which is free and adjust the file size of the video on your computer.

3. jcaswell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I have had a look at Handbrake, and all I have managed to do is to make the file bigger, or made it so pixellated that it is unworkable. Is there a simple guide available on how to make it smaller?

4. sumsingwong macrumors 6502

sumsingwong

Hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/0ZerLQoOixM

5. larrygornick macrumors member

Idk what programs you have, but I use final cut 7, put the video on your timeline, and export via quicktime conversion, and adjust the settings, like turn the audio to AAC, optimize for streaming, set ratio at 16x9, 1500 bits... whole bunch of things you can do to make it smaller.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

That is typical for any type of video you're doing. Whether it be using the camera on your phone, or rendering out video from image sequences and simple 3D animations. My final project for my 2D animation class was a 20 second short, and it ended up being 2GB once pushed out, and these were just basic colors and drawings.

Just opening it in QuickTime and exporting it to other sizes will work just fine. But if you're going to be uploading these to YouTube or Vimeo, just leave them as they are and upload.

7. larrygornick macrumors member

Yeah, video is just naturally large. Nothing you can do about that, except for re-sizing them via different programs, etc. Best of luck to you :)

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Are you recording them at 120 frames a second?

9. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

There are all sorts of things you can do to get more manageable video sizes. The first is to shoot in a size that's no larger than you need. You're probably at 1920x1080, which is huge. Unfortunately, you don't have any options with the built-in camera. But there are a number of great, inexpensive camera apps that allow you to shoot at lower resolution. I use ProCamera 7, which has all sorts of great advantages in addition to lower resolution video (not affiliated, just a very satisfied customer). I rarely shoot in larger than 720p.

Otherwise, you can accomplish your goal in Handbrake, which I use, too. You should see a number of presets on the right that should get you into the ballpark. Then, you can adjust video quality (the "Video" tab halfway down on the main screen. There's a slider for "Quality". Try adjusting this to larger numbers for reduced quality and smaller file size. You might find a quality value of 22 is good enough. 26 is pretty marginal, but I'll use that to get a TiVo'd TV show onto my iPad for a one-time viewing. When I rip a DVD, 20 is plenty good enough quality.

On the "Picture" tab, you can adjust frame size down if you'd like. Set "Anamorphic" to None, and select Keep Aspect Ratio. That will allow you to decrease Height from say 1080 to 720, and the Width will adjust accordingly.

Quality and Frame Size are all you need to mess with to get a much smaller file size.

10. larrygornick macrumors member

Thats a neat idea, changing the camera app. I'd never thought of that.