video files and ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Seaquel, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Seaquel macrumors newbie

I've been having trouble transferring video files from my windows PC to my ipad. I know that itunes will not accept avi files or windows media files. Apple advised that mp4 was an acceptable format for itunes and ipad and I happened to have a couple of those files on my PC, which play through quicktime. For practice, I tried adding them to itunes. NO luck. I was able however able to get these files to my ipad by using dropbox. Now here is the kicker. They play fine on the ipad, but I cannot save them to "videos" it says there is no app to support this file. So right now they are sitting in my dropbox folder which is not good because space is limited.
    So...my question: What video file format will itunes or ipad like?? If I need to convert these files, what will work?
    THANKS

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I don't know how many times I and others have posted this, but go to the app store and download AVPlayerHD. You can play any video format you want on the ipad with it, and it is simple to load onto the ipad as well, through itunes. Click and drag from your pc. No need to convert any files.

Now do some research on it.

3. Seaquel thread starter macrumors newbie

I just joined this forum so sorry if the question was redundant. I even searched the app store but couldn't find what I needed. I'll look into AVplayer. Thanks

4. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Sorry to be blunt, but there must be at least 1000 threads on this going all the way back to the ipad 1, when VLC was the vid player of choice, before Apple yanked it.