Video focus with 5d mk II?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by anewman143, Sep 3, 2013.

1. anewman143 macrumors regular

anewman143

LOVE my 5d mk II, but it doesn't do real time focusing for video capture. Does the mk III?

Not happy to consider dropping that much more money, but as I do more video, my old (47 year old) eyes don't manually focus as well, especially on the live-view screen.

Suggestions?

Adam

2. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

No, it doesn't have continuous AF in video.

All the guys I know that are doing dSLR video are using field monitors with focus peaking.

3. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

The more professional you get, the less the camera does for you.

You won't find autofocus on any professional video cameras (give or take a few).

If you are looking for easier focusing look at getting a wide lens and stopping down so that the DOF is deeper and gives you more chance to get everything in focus.

5. Policar macrumors 6502a

Magic lantern offers focus peaking (outlines the area that's in focus) if you're willing to learn it and install a hack.

The Mark III might technically have an AF mode (I should know; I own one) but I'm pretty sure it's useless. The 70D has very good autofocus, but you'll lose the benefits of FF. Image quality should be similar, though.

6. Borntorun macrumors member

The only DSLR that currently allows autofocus during video is the canon 70D. The autofocus of all other dslr's does not allow continuous focus during video, not even in live mode. The reason is that the image needs to be redirected from the main sensor onto the AF sensor, and this only happens with the prism in the "off" position - for the lack of a better word.

In the 70d canon has managed to embed the AF system into the main sensor (I can explain more on how they accomplished that, if there is interest), hence continuous autofocus is available during live view and hence video as well.

Here is a good tutorial on how dslr autofocus works:

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/why/how-autofocus-works/