video for cash money

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by slinky0390, May 29, 2007.

1. slinky0390 macrumors regular

hi, i just was asked to do a video for a kids motocross sponsors, supposedly the kid is kinda a big deal. its about a 3 min video. being the first time ive ever charged for a video, im not sure how much to actually charge for my services.

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Do you use professional camcorders?

Are you experienced?

3. magicjames92 macrumors regular

My friend is 14, uses imovie, and does a decent job, and charges $20/hr of work

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

It depends on a lot of factors, including how much work is required, what they're planning on using it for, what equipment you're using, and your level of experience, to name a few.

Is this local? National?

Assuming you're using at least DVCAM and it's more of a local thing, umm, maybe somewhere in the $500.00-$1000.00 (US) range? Somewhere around there?

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Yeah I didn't bother asking what kind of editing system he uses, it doesn't make a difference in the end to be honest with you. You can make cuts with any NLE it is just whatever program you feel comfortable with.

I find it extremely difficult to figure out how much a person should get paid for a video. There are lots of factors that go into it.

There is a huge difference between using an expensive camcorder and Uncle Joe's 300 dollar camcorder.

We need more info basically.

6. slinky0390 thread starter macrumors regular

i have a canon optura, but im seriously considering overnighting a canon gl2 so i can have it by next monday.. ive been making films since i was in 8th grade, im now a senior in high school, and i know it doesnt matter but i do use final cut express, and i am very comfortable with the application

7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

What is your budget for a new camcorder?

I can help you pick one out since you are able to afford a Gl2.

8. magicjames92 macrumors regular

The person who does the editing doesn't usually tape the video...

9. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Ummm k. :rolleyes:

10. slinky0390 thread starter macrumors regular

i find it easier to film and edit, this way i know what shots i need when im filming.. my budget is basically 1500, which can be stretched a little bit more.. but the thing is i need the camera for the 4th.. i mean, i could film with what i have, its not terrible, but im just not sure what price point to set, i definatly want to cover the gas im going to be using to get to the guys house.. my friend who knows the guy told me to ask him for 300, which would include the days of filming and the post production process, but is that too much, or too little?

11. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

300 sounds fine, but I still don't know what the video is all about and how long it is.

I had the same budget as you, 1500, I bought a Panasonic AG-DVC30. I haven't used it as much as I should be but it is a nice camcorder. I think it is discontinued now.

I don't know about HD, do you plan on moving to HD?

If you had $2500, I would get the DVX-100. Look it up, look at the footage, it is an amazing camcorder. The best DV camcorder I've seen.

12. magicjames92 macrumors regular

id say if u use the camera u have now its probably fine...this isnt ur main source of income right?

13. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

He is a senior in high school, his life is not depending on any job right now.

14. slinky0390 thread starter macrumors regular

its basically a 3 minute motocross rider profile video for one of the kids factory sponsors.

as for my main source of income, if you can even call it that im basically just paying off my truck, starbucks takes care of me pretty well.

as for the hd, im not going to make a transition until it becomes more of a standard, burning and stuff.

15. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

*cough*

I'd say $300-500 is fair for what they're asking for. Make sure you get everything in writing!

16. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

LOL

Consider that camcorder too!

17. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I'm serious about the "get it in writing" part.

First rule of the film business: Someone will try to *expletive* you.

(Okay, thats the second rule. The first rule is: Now matter how much you plan, something will always go wrong with a shoot. ;) )

18. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Careful about your titles. "Video for cash money" might give people the wrong idea.

We can only hope...

19. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I originally clicked because I thought it was for a fellow MC Solaar fan... :eek: