Video for web

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thefugitive, Sep 21, 2011.

1. thefugitive macrumors newbie

Hi all
    Well this is my first post as i have just got my first macbook pro and loving it! Why the hell i never did this earlier i don't know!! (Downside is now the wife wants one too!!! :D)

Ok, i digress.. I have downloaded handbrake and have a few uses that i need it for.. One is that we are looking at immigrating and i wanted to back up our entire DVD collection to take with us.. I think i have figured out how to use it. I tried it on one of the DVDs and have ended up with a 1.98gig MPEG-4 file.. Does that sound about right?!? I don't really want to lose quality or anything as i would like to hook it up to our tv overseas when we want to watch something. I don't have any cables to connect my macbook pro to our current tv so can't test it?!

Secondly, i have a video file of my wife buggy jumping that i want to upload to our blog site and used handbrake to convert the vob file to do this but even after checking the web optimized box, the file is still almost 100mb in size?! Its only 6mins long.. How do you get it down to a smaller size which will be more user friendly?!

2. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

2GB for a DVD is excellent quality, 3-4GB is like blueray quality, and 500-800MB can get kinda ugly.

It sounds like you are getting very high definitions of files (which take up more memory). if you are not given an option to pick the quality on the product natively, you may always download Video Monkey, and convert the file into any format/file size you see fit (you may chose quality/memory using it)