Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retrocool

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2004
I've got a G4 500 powerbook which can play DVD video just fine.
However if I try an mp4 file it skips and jumps and is unwatchable.
So far, the only way I have found of making video that plays reliably is by using a VIDEO TS folder through Apple DVD player. But this is a hassle and I'd much prefer a single file for each video. Quicktime? But what codec, and how can I convert to it?

Any ideas?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Any implementation of h263 will work well (divx, xvid etc). It's not as efficient as h264 as far as the quality:file size ratio goes but it will play a lot better.

You could also try Baseline profile h264 (in handbrake, choose any preset which supports iPod classic or nano).

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I found that VLC will play most standard definition AVI files without a problem on my 550Mhz Powerbook G4. Just isn't room for much else to do when it's playing a movie.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Coreplayer. You can even stream from youtube (and many other video sites) in Coreplayer, start a download of a mp4 file in Mactubesv (or use Downloadhelper in tenfourfox to copy the url of the file, and copy that into Coreplayer), drag that puppy onto Coreplayer and stream away. I can't tell you how well it will work on your G4, but I suspect 480p will stream fine. I think 720p will be beyond you.

Coreplayer is 20 bucks, less with the coupon in the FAQ at the top of the PowerPC mac forum page. So worth it. Trust me, you WILL NOT be disappointed.

Last edited:

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
Have to agree with VLC and Handbrake.

Both are staple installs not only here on my PB, but my intel Mini. Fabulous pieces of software and free too boot! Can't beat that for something that work so well.
I think the real issues will come down to: The nerf with the 32mgs of video ram (Correct me if I am wrong) and the 5400rpm drive which is stock in those TiBooks. (We could also talk ram, but meh.) While I never did much more than basic internet research and paper writing on my TiBook in college so I can't give you specifics beyond that.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.