Video format??

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chalupa_batman, Jun 3, 2011.

1. chalupa_batman macrumors member

My ripped movies won't play on my iPad 2. They sync and play in iTunes, but when I try to transfer them to my iPad it says that my iPad cannot play the file. I thought that if the movie played in iTunes, it would play on all iDevices. I've tried both .mp4 and .m4v. Any suggestions?

I'd like to only have one file so I won't have to have an iPad version, HD version, etc.

2. Robsrangers macrumors newbie

What screen resolution size are the movies? If they are too big for the iPad display then they don't play.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

.m4v

You Handbrake to convert your videos to the Apple TV2 setting. This will play on iPads too.

4. Robsrangers macrumors newbie

blueroom is correct, :apple:tv or :apple:TV2 is your best bet.
    Here is the movie playback specs for the ipad

"Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format"

I have gone through the same process via my thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1160771