Video frozen in iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacMythos, May 3, 2012.

1. MacMythos macrumors member

All thumbnails are displayed for each of my projects in iMovie. I get sound when I play my projects. No video. Just a black or grey screen. Sometimes a strange, incomplete image that looks to be derived from a still out of the project. Creating new projects yields the same result.

The events all seem to be playing normally with video and audio.

Any clues about what is going on with my Projects?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Try trashing the iMovie preference files. Found in Home Folder>Library>Prefernces. Might work, might not.

3. MacMythos thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, Dave.

The Preferences file contains a couple hundred other files and documents. I clicked and dragged preferences file to the trash but a message came up saying preferences was not able to be deleted because it was used to run Mac OS X.

I'm getting the feeling I am going to have to bring the computer back to the Mac Store for service. This all started while I was editing in iMovie and moving a bit hastily.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Sorry, I meant delete the iMovie preferences: com.apple.iMovie.plist, com.apple.iMovie.LSSharedFileList.plist and com.apple.iMovieApp.plist

5. MacMythos thread starter macrumors member

I only have one file in Preferences that is labeled iMovie. It is called

com.appleiMovie8

I'm afraid to go deleting stuff when I don't know what it is for. Thanks for the advice, Dave. I will have to get to the bottom of this because I need my iMovie. I will post back the results of my enquiry with Apple.

Thank you again for your help Dave. No offense. I think I had better go by what the Apple people tell me. If something goes wrong because of what I did without Apple recommendations, Apple will have no responsibility to fix it.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

That would seem to indicate that you have iMovie8. I would recommend upgrading to iMovie11 via the App Store. It's only about $10-15 and is vastly superior to iMovie8.

You can delete preference files without worry, as the application just re-creates them when next launched.