Video Game Recording

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MercSoldier, Aug 10, 2008.

1. MercSoldier macrumors newbie

I am trying to record footage from my PS3 onto my MacBook. The only thing I've found is the TVMini+ from Miglia. But this only records SD content and I don't think its sold in the US. Is this anything like it that is sold in the US? HDMI recording would be best, but I am fine with SD composite if necessary.

2. chrisprobert macrumors newbie

3. MercSoldier thread starter macrumors newbie

I could. I did find this TVmini HD thing from miglia, but that looks like it only records tv shows directly from the cable line. not the tv

4. chrisprobert macrumors newbie

The camera almost certainly has a composite video cable, which you can plug into your PS3. If you turn the camera on to "VCR" mode, you can usually choose "Analog>DV" somewhere in the settings, which should allow you to record the input.

5. MercSoldier thread starter macrumors newbie

hrm, how would this work though? if the output from my PS3 is HDMI, how would the camera record the footage, if its connected to the ps3 and not the tv

6. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Doesn't the ps3 have regular SD composite video out jacks? Just hook the PS3's RCA video out into the digital video camera's RCA video input, then take a firewire cable out of your camera and into your Mac.

p.s. I'm not sure, but I'd guess that depending on which camera you have you may need to record the footage on to the digital video tape first and then later after your recording is done, send the digital video to your mac over firewire during playback afterwards.

7. polar-blair macrumors regular

I use Elgatos EYE TV hybrid, it has a RCA input and you can plug your PS3 into it and play on your mac as well as watch TV. You can also record anything you plug into the eye tv. The only problem is that there is about a 1/2 to 1 second lag when recording something like a games console, so what I usually do is play the game and then record the games replay function (if it has one) Some people use a scart splitter which splits the scart into 2, so one end can record on your mac book via the eye tv and the other end can be plugged into a TV, then just play the game as normal on the TV with no lag and it works fine.

This is quite a pricey option, with the eye tv hybrid coming at round about £100

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

HDMI recording isn't going to happen anyway because of HDCP encryption. Sony (and several aftermarket companies) do make component video A/V cables for the PS3, which would give you best attainable recording output. I'm not sure whether this would work with HD, however. After that, it's just a matter of getting the signals into an analog capture device and the market is flooded with these.