Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tedrjr03

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
i was wondering if its possible to hooka game consol like the 360 or original xbox to a lcd monitor... if this is possible what is needed and how does it look?

Toreador93

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
You'll want an LCD with composite or S-Video input. Otherwise you'd need a tv tuner, and lag would make any fast-paced game unplayable.

How it looks depends on the resolution of the LCD as compared to the output of the game console.

For sure, Dell 17" and 20" monitors come with the required inputs. I haven't tried it, but I think it's been done before. If no one chimes in later, I may try hooking my N64 up to my Dell 2005FPW.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
You don't want to use a modern console on anything using s-video or composite inputs. The Xbox 360 has an option for VGA out so use that. You might want to see if you can find a 3rd party DVI kit for the 360 I have NFI if they exist.

I play my GameCube on a High Def LCD TV and things like the displays native resolution come in to play so it doesn't look as good over component video as it would on a CRT. You can expect the samething on a monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.