Video: Griffin Reveal Impressions for iPhone 4!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Kingpierce34, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Kingpierce34 macrumors member

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Nice review. Thanks! I had the Reveal for my 3GS and I loved it. Do you think this case would fit with a full body skin on the phone as well? The 3G version did which was what I liked about it so much.

3. Kingpierce34 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Yes, absolutely. It will fit. The edge is very lenient and can stretch when you put the phone in, yet is very snug once it "snaps back" into place. Im sure having a full-body skin would make it even more secure inside the case. I've had many cases for all the generations of iPhones, from the very first one up to the 3GS, and I would categorize this as a "minimalist" case. Very simple and basic protection. You won't find any problems fitting a full-bodied skinned iPhone in there.

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Nice review. Very thorough.

I hit up BB this afternoon and they didn't have any cases out. I will have to swing by tomorrow to see what they have.

Cheers.

5. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

let us know if you start the get dust inside. My fear is once all the dust is inside, it can cause fine scratches.

6. Kingpierce34 thread starter macrumors member

Good luck! There will surely be an influx of cases tomorrow. I'm really excited to see what AT&T and the Apple Store will carry. If they have the CandyShell by Speck in, I may return this case and just get some screen protectors. Though like i said, I really like the phone as it is. It's built pretty tough and just feels good in the hands!

Yea there seems to be dust getting in pretty easy, and thats because the phone doesnt sit "flush" with the back of the plastic. Ive notice there is some spacing in the back where the camera and flash cutout are, so dust buildup was happening all day since I got the case. We may see this problem with many cases though, but it really didnt bother me that much, and the hairline scratch caused by dust problem usually is for plastic backs, not this glass back. But I guess we'll see in a couple days/weeks!

7. 55test55 macrumors 6502

i feel that i should add that i, and many other users, got scratches/indentations due to dust that got underneath the damn Griffin Reveal case for the iPhone 3GS. Sucks big time, that taught me to never buy a Griffin case again. I emailed them about it and they gave me the most BS reply. I'll try and find it.

Buyer beware.

8. tread42 macrumors newbie

tread42

Great review. I will definitely be trying to find one at my local BB tomorrow. My son had a baseball game tonight and I feared the entire time I was there that I was going to lay a scratch on it day 1.

9. nowstime macrumors regular

Nice review...do you think the rubber trim will be a dust magnet? Does the receiption drop when the phone is in the case and you holding it?

I'm debating between this one or the Belkin Grip.

10. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Does the rubber stretch outward when your swiping reaches the ends of the screen? I can't tell if it would, but it would get annoying. This does look solid for a case for my first month of use. I'm not sure what I'm going to buy, though.

11. Kingpierce34 thread starter macrumors member

I think its built like a tank man! Bumper should do the trick, but if i'm going to stick with a case, its gonna be one that covers the back.

This rubber doesnt seem to be too "rubbery" that collects a lot of dust, if that makes sense. For comparison, if you know or seen the SwitchEasy Colors case, that was a dust magnet, and that rubber seems to be a tad bit different than this rubber. That, and since the surface area of rubber on this case isnt that great compared to an all-rubber case, the dust seems to have a tough time to find its way to the case =)

As far as reception goes, my reception is perfect. I don't even have that problem thats been reported about touching certain areas of the band around the phone. Holding the phone or not, my reception is fine =)

It doesnt, unless you really try to. First, there seems to be enough space between where the rubber ends and the screen begins. The black screen bezel lines the sides of the screen and the rubber is enough separation not to have this problem. I tried to naturally swipe over it with the same strength I would while swiping the screen open, and it didnt stretch at all. The rubber kinda "sticks" down, so its all good.

12. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

From my experience with the Reveal on the 3gs, the rubber does pick up dust more then a non-rubber case but it isn't nearly as bad as most fully rubber cases.

If you're looking for a case for a few months then I'd say this would do the trick. I had my Reveal for about 6 months and the rubber is starting to stretch out a little bit, but it's not enough to bother me.

Basically, I recommend this case highly for anyone who likes a similar situation as I do. I like to put a skin on the front and back of the phone to prevent against scratches and most of the time I do not use a case because I'm pretty good about taking care of my electronics and I don't really fear dropping it. However, there are times when I know I'm going to be in high risk situations when it has a chance of getting knocked around and that's when I like to put on a case. The reveal was perfect for this. It was easy to take on and take off and it looked great. I really liked the fact that you could still see the back of the phone. If you have a skin on the phone then you don't really have to worry about dust getting trapped in the case and scratching the phone either.

13. djgcue macrumors member

Nice review....

Does the Griffin come with a screen protector?

Thanks

14. Kingpierce34 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, no screen protector. Just the case!

15. bushbaby macrumors 6502a

bushbaby

Yes, this is my solution for the moment too. I have a personalized Zagg invisible shield (the one that goes on dry) on the back and a power support crystal film (for the 3gs, may cut it for the front cam) on the front.

I bought the white Griffen reveal today and I like the look a lot. My question is, do you think I'll have a build up of heat having two surfaces? I see already my phone runs hot (hotter maybe even than my 3gs, esp when charging or using the maps).

16. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

so its basically a bumper with a plastic back?

17. bushbaby macrumors 6502a

bushbaby

I haven't seen the bumpers in person yet, but yeah, that's not a bad description. It's very tidy looking from the front and sides. The back causes a slight pattern where it sticks too the Zagg picture backing I have - depends on the light how obvious.

I made sure BB would take opened returns up to 30 days.

18. Ahambone macrumors newbie

I'm having a world of trouble finding this case on Best Buy's website- is it on the website anywhere?

19. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

It's not on the website and when I called the store, the guy I spoke to from the BB phone dept. said they definitely don't carry them.

I live close by, so I drove down a few minutes later only to find a big display of them next to a bunch of Invisible Shield stuff and other accessories specifically for the i4.

Sometimes it's easier just to help yourself at BB :p

P.S. I like it!

20. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I called BB and was told they didn't carry any Griffin cases. However, I may have been misinformed.

21. Zoticus macrumors newbie

my best buy in Houston had it, and allowed me to try it out on my phone. I ended up going with the Belkin Vue in the end.

22. ryanbates macrumors regular

ryanbates

I picked of the reveal as well, ending up finding a white one and I love it! Only thing I wish is that I could use it with the dock.

* Note alot of Best Buy stores don't know they have these, I found mine in some boxes by the Best Buy mobile desk and the employees there had never even seen them before.

23. Jamz00 macrumors member

Does anyone else's left side of the case have a bad fit? It doesn't fit as tight as on the non-volume control side and i can move it if that makes sense to anyone. Not a big deal but it bothers me a little.

24. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

25. keeganxt macrumors regular

read this before buying this case...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=950080

I'm seeing this a lot, not a lot of attention is being paid to the new "flash" on the iphone, since it's never had it before...but screen protectors and cases may have a very big impact on your flash photography now.