Video guide to proper iPhone charging:

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darkfox3889, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Darkfox3889 macrumors member

Hey everyone!

I've noticed recently that many people are unclear on the proper charging habits for iPhone's and other modern mobile devices.

This inspired me to make a fun little video in hopes of dispelling the mystery of battery maintenance!

It basically follows Apple's battery guidelines, but can be applied to any device using Lithium Ion batteries.

Please let me know what you all think of it!
    =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6YO0L0v7YU

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I think you messed up. Dropping below 50% isn't a full cycle. A full cycle would be dropping to 50% twice.

3. Darkfox3889 thread starter macrumors member

D= really?! I've always heard that dropping below 50% equates to one "cycle" count.
    And yes it is really mine. :eek:

4. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

5. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I just checked the Laptop Battery Guide (lithium-ion). My mistake, you were right.
    I distinctly remember reading on that same guide that one full cycle was any amount of discharges adding up to 100% (for instance, 25% + 35% + 40% = 1 cycle).

Pre-edit: I just re-read the that guide. Either I am tired and need to go to sleep, or this thing is contradicting itself.

6. SnowDX macrumors 6502

That's what I've read too. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/ask-ilounge-5-9-08/ I think the video is well done though and obviously you have a clue about editing so could fix the issue of charge cycles if necessary. (I don't claim that what the iLounge article says is correct, I've just read it several places)

7. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Cool video! Really high quality... I'm impressed!

8. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I am also impressed. This is gonna sound sexist, but… A girl knows more about technology than most of the guys in my school.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Honestly I'm more impressed that she didn't plug the site (very good design).

10. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Wow, the site does looks great.

11. abc123 macrumors 6502

Good tips on the car, heat, etc but I'm not sure about the charge cycles.

It really shouldn't matter at which point to you recharge (so long you don't discharge to shut down as you mentioned in your video), it is the cumulative effect of discharges and recharges overtime that decrease battery life. So recharging from 75% to full twice a day should have the same impact on battery as one charge from 50% to full.

It might be that the phone has internal 'charge cycle' counter that only trips if recharged from below 50% but that would probably be used for diagnostic purposes by apple repair to determine if the phone has seen excessive use rather than to accurately measure how much the battery has degraded or how many 'true' charge cycles have been completed.

Of course I'm not an apple tech so am just speculating.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I believe a cycle is additive, needs to reach 100% used (@one sitting or additive smaller sessions that add to 100%) for it to count as 1 cycle...

Is not her, I believe Darkfox is the guy that is making the videos not the girls being featured in them... Nice website, based on what I have seen from it, are you going to have a different girl every-time you do a new review?

13. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

This sounds more reasonable

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's what I thought as well.

The site is really trying to attract people in a newer way (for the tech industry at least). The only recommendation I have is to give the reviews more depth. TouchArcade slaughters Appreview in that regard. Unfortunately, that's where it counts.

15. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Look at all the lonely virgins complimenting the girl on a forum because they don't guts to do it in real life.

16. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

So is it a cycle when it goes below 50%? Or multiple uses that add up to 100%? This thread has me confused now.

I've also read that once a month to drain the battery from 100% until it dies but the video says only to 10%. Which one is it?

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

LOL, well that video said dont ever let the battery completely die.
    I now have a Vibrant(Android) and of course it uses a lithium battery and T-Mobile told me that in their instructions to get the battery dialed in to LET IT DIE two consecutive times after a full charge and then after that it should last longer.

When i was using my iPhone, i ran it down to 20% or below often and charged it up overnight. Did that if it was only at 60% or more after charging it up when it was low. The battery always worked the same and it is two years old. The only thing that made it worse was updating it to another firmware.

18. emkwan macrumors regular

emkwan

Thanks for the link. A great site and excellent and new approach to video reviews especially to an already over popular tech review sector. Not sure either about the charge cycle stuff.

19. Darkfox3889 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the late re-entry to this thread!
    Thanks so much for all the positive feedback everyone!
    It means a lot!

I noticed mention of wanting the videos to have more depth. What exactly do you mean by this?
    Just more detail about the app?
    :)

20. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Any chance you can give me this information over drinks?? This video is way better than those with tech dork guys telling me how to use stuff

21. Darkfox3889 thread starter macrumors member

^ haha thanks! Yeah our format was intended to give a nice change of pace to the typical tech video scene. Now we're just trying to figure out where to take it next!

Thanks again all you guys! All the positive feedback really means a lot. We've been working on and developing this concept for awhile now, and it's so rewarding to see other people enjoying our work. :)

Please let me know what you'd like to see going forward! If you have a lesser known app you really love, give me a heads up and maybe we'll feature it!

22. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

great video! thanks for the info!

edit: this applies to MBPs too correct?

23. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

OMG someone finally posted correct info about lithium batteries ~_~

im so tired of people posting facts based on the old nickel batteries

anyways a few corrections

1) lithium ion batteries will never let you fully discharge them. 0% =/= completely drained battery. Most lithium batteries have a safety feature that will stop them from discharging after a certain amount is left.

2) Doing a full discharge/charge cycle actually does nothing for longetivity. The only reason this is recommend is to calibrate the battery + calibrate what the device displays as a percentage.

There are only two things you need three things you really need to know about making lithium batteries last

1) keep it fully charged
    2) Keep it cool
    3) If storing for a long time, charge to about 50% and then store in the freezer

24. Darkfox3889 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, this applies to any device using lithium-ion batteries! =)