Video - Guy Drops His Iphone on Purpose w/only a Thin Film

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Eager Beaver, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

I have tried invisible shield on my previous iphones and was not impressed.
    After 2 months with my wrapsol, I am very impressed.
    I have not dropped it yet, but it's simply just a matter of time -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD_dXTzEAmA

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Invisible shield svcks in terms of screen feel / visibility. Fine for the back of an ipad, but never put it on a touchscreen.

A good "static cling" type screen protector is far better. Seems Wrapsol is good, personally I'm using an SGP Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic -- when I bought it for my iPhone4 last year it came as a two-pack, I used the 2nd one when I got my 4S.

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

So I assume Wrapsol guarantees drop protection ... ? :rolleyes:

4. JayJayJay macrumors member

The fact that the glass didn't shatter in that video has nothing to do with the film, and everything to do with the fact that the phone did NOT land squarely on one corner in any of the drops. THIS (landing on a corner) is what causes shattered screens, and, there is nothing that a protective film would be able to do about that.

5. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Welcome to the site - :)

If you look around a little, you will see many peeps that have shattered fronts and backs by landing flat, one way or another -

Why don't you take a video of you dropping yours from 6ft 3 or 4 times, and we'll see how it looks, (and try and land it flat each time) ;)
    For $20 bucks at Walmart, I am very happy with it, (and thought I would pass on the info) -

EDIT - I see you have started 3 threads about cases, are you a dealer?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=25157654

6. egk69 macrumors 6502

unbelievable! I've never droped my iP4 or iP4S naked, but my backplate broke after like 10 drops with a bumper, actually it broke with a SCOSCHE BandiT... The bumper protects it good enough if it is in perfect condition once the bumper starts to rip apart you have to change it...

Anyways I would rock this even if its just a hype, you really dont have anything to lose...

7. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

I wouldn't say the wrapsol replaces a hard case, I'm just saying that I used one for 2 months, and it indeed does rock like you say. Even comes with all the side and top strips, and I feel pretty good about it, no scratches from my keys on it and no fingerprints :D

8. hizzaah macrumors 6502

i think the dragging behind the car thing is a bit extreme to demo scratch resistance. it did seem to prevent scratches, but not damage. the camera cracked and the phone opened. the camera was bound to crack. the phone was being dragged and bounced on it's back, and the camera was the only glass on the back. bet if they did the same but to the front side, that glass would be cracked also..

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I adore Wrapsol. It makes my MacBook Air look like it has a car paint job!

Everyone, especially the no case folks, should be on the Wrapsol bandwagon.

10. egk69 macrumors 6502

what I meant with you have nothing to lose, was to rock the film/screen protector thing + a case like a bumper or whatever. Not just use it naked, that is crazy IMO...

11. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Does the oleophobic coating wear off?

12. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I have some oceanfront property for sale in Kansas too. Great deal.

13. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I love Wrapsol but I don't buy that video one bit.

14. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Will they replace my iPhone for free when it doesnt work? No? Then I'll stick with my Otterbox

15. JayJayJay macrumors member

Exactly. The fact that there are actually people who believe that a thin piece of film is going to prevent damage OTHER than simple scratching, laws of physics not withstanding, is proof that there is a sucker born every minute.

And, the fact that we haven't heard from the thread starter again, after my posting that article above is further evidence that he might actually be associated with this company.

16. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Will Otterbox? :rolleyes:

This is a thin film made for peeps that don't want a "case" like Otterbox.
    If you have used invisibleshield before, you will like the wrapsol much better.
    I purchased the wrapsol at Walmart for $20, before I saw the video.
    (I would never drop my new iphone from 6ft on purpose, and neither should you)

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not in my experience. Bought it in Aug 2010, still on the iPhone4 (gave to a family member when I bought the 4S) and still going strong sixteen months later. (added to quoted text for clarity)

18. JayJayJay macrumors member

The implication from the video, is that it will protect it from drops. It will not. That's the point. The Otterbox will, as will a host of other cases.

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. A single video doesn't prove anything just as a single data point really doesn't mean anything.

It's certainly possible to drop a naked iPhone without damage. Does that mean that a video of dropping a naked iPhone is conclusive proof that going naked is just as good as a skin or case?

20. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Interesting... I recently dropped my phone and it landed right on the camera corner edge. I was listening to music and had it in one hand, and next thing I know it's in the air...

I was surprised it wasn't cracked or damaged. The fall was about 3-4 feet.

I have a luckylabs carbon fiber wrap and a tru

21. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Waaaaay better than naked or a bulky case - :)

22. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

You forgot to sign in as your different fake account to give your product good fake reviews.

23. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

You should join the MacRumors Spambusters :p

24. JayJayJay macrumors member

LOL. This is funny.

You say better than a bulky case or naked. However, this doesn't make sense to me. If by "better" you mean more attractive, then clearly, the "naked" option wins. If by "better" you mean more protected, then clearly, the bulky case wins. In NEITHER case does your product (and I'm fairly convinced you are associated with this company in some way) win.

25. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

Thicker case = More protection, but less appeal
    Thinner case = Less protection, but more appeal

Skin = some protection, good appeal
    Naked = no protection, excellent appeal

People will what they value more on the scale, protection vs appeal. I am not too clumsy. My previous iPhone hasn't been dropped yet. So i'll likely stick to a skin/film.

However, this video is nice to show that if you do accidentally drop your iPhone with a skin on, it could survive, little bit more assuring, but no guarantees.