Video guy needing help purchasing a imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by absolutmp5, Jun 28, 2011.

1. absolutmp5 macrumors regular

So I do alot of wedding videos and live event videos. My primary camera's are the 5d mark ii and t2i. I usually would convert to prores and edit on my old 2007 mbp. Now That I finally have some consistent income I would like to get a more beefier rig considering also 5d mark iii might have a more demanding higher quality video codec.

So After looking at the tests, it really worth it to get the upgraded processor of 3.4 ghz i7 and possibly a 2gb video card? Also keep in mind that final cut pro x will match my workflow and I will be switching to that very soon.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

i7 is worth it due to Hyper-Threading. It can boost the performance by up to 30% in some tasks and video editing should be one of them. The 2GB GPU shouldn't make a big difference though so personally I would skip it.

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Either that or a refurb 2.93 i7 from 2010. They're pretty great value for money unless you can't live without Thunderbolt.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Normally I'd agree with you since a display image won't even use 16MB of RAM. However, I wonder if FCPX's major use of Grand Central Dispatch and especially OpenCL to make full use of the system might make more GPU memory desirable? It would take a benchmark to know for sure.

5. sam2428 macrumors 6502

I too have the same question (although i am looking at the 21.5" iMac). I will be doing some video editing and some music editing and am debating if the i7 is worth the 200 dollars more.