video hardware problem? Hey guys, I've been a hardcore windows and android guy for a

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by topmanusa, May 28, 2013.

1. topmanusa macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I've been a hardcore windows and android guy for a long time and I just recently got a 2011 macbook pro i7. It's very different for me and I'm still getting used to it. I'm liking it so far, especially the touch interface on the touch pad. Best I've ever felt!

Long story short... I was given this macbook pro after someone spilled soda on it. I decided to tear it apart and fix it. I spent a week and cleaned the logic board and everything. I scrubbed everything down with freon tf and alcohol. The charging port board was corroded so I replaced that. Both fans were non op and I replaced those too.

I installed a new Samsung 840 SSD and got everything running. The laptop runs greats, but sometimes it freezes. When ever I try to play a netflix video it freezes instantly and sometimes I get this colored pixelated fuzz on the screen and I have to force reboot. It also does this sometimes when opening photoshop or illustrator. The laptop will play movie files just fine though.
    On hard reboot is gets stuck at a light gray apple screen then goes black. I will have to reboot several times to get to the login screen.

I had mountain lion, then switched to lion- same issues.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Here are some photos what Im talking about...

Attached Files:

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Do you think the video card may have got damaged by the liquid? Just guessing though as I'm no expert.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Specify the Model number, there are quite a few i7 MBP from 2011, you might have two Graphic chips inside, if that is the case one might not be working and switching to the other one will help.

Open System Information in your ?Applications/Utilities folder and look for Model Identifier.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

There is soo much that can be broken on the logic board. Maybe the GPU doesn't get the right Voltage or has some fried circuits.
    You can try forcing one or the other GPU. Maybe only one has the problem.
    It is rather difficult to impossible to exchange a chip on the logic board so you may have to get a new one which is like the costliest part in the entire notebook.

5. topmanusa thread starter macrumors newbie

I have model MacBookPro8,2.

I have the Intel HD 3000 and Radeon HD 6490M. How can I turn one off? To see which graphic chip is not functioning.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

GfxCardstatus can switch GPU's.

7. topmanusa thread starter macrumors newbie

Justperry,
    I just unchecked the "automatic graphics switching" option in energy saver and immediately the computer freezes. My hardware info said the computer is using the onboard intel for the screen.
    So when I open netflix is the computer switching to the radeon and causing the freeze?

8. topmanusa thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I switched to discrete only and it froze again. When I switch to integrated the problems go away. :)

So I guess its the Radeon chip. Ill pull the board out again and see if theres still soda stuck under the chip or something. Or maybe replace it. Ive been watching videos of people reballing the chip sets. Anyone here done this before?

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Some people bake them in an oven, and yes, it seems to work, but, this is mostly done on those Logic boards with Bad solder, NVidia had huge problems with this years ago.