Video I/O for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DKAudio, Jul 18, 2007.

1. DKAudio macrumors newbie

I edit video on a new mac pro with Final Cut Express HD. While firewire is great for my DVCAM deck, I need to input and output other video/audio sources into the Mac w/o using firewire. With Final Cut Pro, there is no problem: you simply use one of the many AJA products that are designed for the Mac Pro. However, they don't work with Final Cut Express. Is there an external device or a PCIe card that will allow video/audio to be inputted/outputted to/from the Mac Pro when using FC Express HD??

2. banjomamo macrumors regular

I dont know as much about FCE since I use FCP, but you could look into Blackmagic Design cards (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/). They have several comparable cards that are actually less expensive than AJA. Kona cards are def better IMO but BMD does a good job.

Honestly though if you are springing for capture cards you should think about upgrading to Final Cut Pro. Plus you'll get some realtime processing help from the card in FCP.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What kind of connections do you need (Composite, S-video, Component, SDI, XLR, RS-422, etc.,) and what is your budget?

Lethal

4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

i think Express only can capture via the firewire port, so you can either use a video to DV converter, or get a kona / blackmagic card and use a 3rd party app to capture the video, the Kona comes with a stand alone capture tool.

5. DKAudio thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies! I would like to import component, composite, and S-video, along with balanced and unbalanced audio. I realize that FC Studio 2 would solve these I/O problems by allowing me to use an AJA box or board. However, I edit mostly technical training videos and FCE does all I need and more for $1000 less than FCP.

6. DKAudio thread starter macrumors newbie

I also need to provide my customers with "WMVs" of video edited on my Mac. I currently do this by recording onto DVCAM tape (via firewire) and then making the WMV on a PC. If somebody has a better way, please let me know. My budget is flexible, within reason, but I prefer not to buy expensive items or software where I won't use most of the features. Thanks again for the replies.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

8. -DH macrumors 65816

I've never used FCE so I cannot say with certainty, but I believe that FCE is capable of handling DV or HDV only - which would explain why the AJA products don't work with FCE.

Do you just need to capture other formats as DV for editing ... or do you need the ability to edit in other formats? If you need that capability, then you'd need to be using FCP.

-DH

9. -DH macrumors 65816

OK. I can say with certainty. From Apple's FCE website: "Discover the advanced moviemaking power of Final Cut Express HD. Capture and edit DV or HDV video"

-DH

10. DKAudio thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded "Flip4Mac WMV Studio Pro HD" and it works beautifully. I can now go from my video timeline in FCE HD and produce a WMV in a few minutes. Going the Quicktime movie to AVI to WMV route took several hours and the results were lousy. This made spending the $ on the Flip4Mac product easy. Thanks for the tip. (If any body needs to buy a "Flip4Mac" product, Google around for coupons. I saved 20% = $35.80)