Video iChat Never Works

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mykbibby, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

This has been driving me crazy for a long time. My old MBP would never be able to start a video conference, no matter where I was. I would always get a communication error when I attempted to do so, and I figured there was something wrong with my computer.

I just got a brand new MBP (awesome!), and attempted to start a video iChat... and I got the exact same problem. I copied all my data over from my previous MBP, so I am 100 percent convinced it is a software issue. I have tried deleting my preferences, switching internet connections, and nothing works. I need help!

Does anyone know what I should do?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How many routers are at both communication endpoints?

3. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

What do you mean?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have a friend stuck behind 3 routers in his apartment complex and one at my home. iChat just can't pass that many layers of NAT.

5. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

I know it has nothing to do with any of the internet connections. I have managed to prove that. It has to do with something else... just not sure what. :rolleyes:

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

It's not the internet connection we're talking about, it's the NAT filtering or NAT firewalls inside the routers at BOTH ends.

That causes issues with the video chat in iChat. I have had to have my dad enable his external web admin for his router so I can get his settings right since I was unfamiliar with his router (plus it was easier than "try this, ok now try this")

I got it working buy a lot of apple.discussions threads and trying all the suggestions.

The NAT filter/firewall is usually one culprit.

The other is the Quicktime streaming setting under quicktime.

7. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

How can I fix it, if this is the problem?

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I'll have to get back to you when I'm on my iMac when I get home for the quicktime streaming, but the NAT issue can be fixed via the router settings.

Both of you need to check your router settings, and as someone posted, how many routers are in line between you and your AVChat person? For instance, if your both at home, more than likely it's just your router and theirs, if your in a college dorm, there's probably at least 1-2 between you and them for a total of probably 4 which is starting to get ugly.

But the ones you want to concern yourself with are the ones that are close to you, meaning your OWN routers. You'll need to log into your router admin page and look for NAT firewall and turn it off (that's the most likely culprit I've read about). Don't ask me how or where that is on your guys router (I'm not looking it up) but you'll need to get there. Consult your routers documentation on how to get to the admin and where that setting or something similar might be located.

This more than likely needs to be done at BOTH ends.

Also, MacRumors is just one of many sites with helpful info. Apple Discussion boards is another (that's where I got my help from).