[VIDEO] iMac 27" 3.1Ghz 2011 Unboxing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by The Samurai, May 5, 2011.

1. The Samurai, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011

The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Tests, comparisons and other related videos will be up soon. Anything in specific you guys wanna see?

2. kjid macrumors regular

thanks for the vid, cant wait to unbox mine (a little more subtile)

3. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Great Vid. I'd love to see some gaming benchmarks. We all seem to be rather lacking in that area.

4. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

5. Eudall macrumors newbie

Crazy box opening!

I'd like to see some general benchmarks, gaming benchmarks, the usual :)

6. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Not available where I stay, this machine comes standard with all households.

Sure guys, will cover those areas in the upcoming videos.

7. SimonBS macrumors regular

SimonBS

I would like to see the start up time (not that it matters that much, honestly, but it's always interesting) Also, it would be cool if you could do some performance tests with Xcode and Photoshop.

What about some general speed? E.g. start up time of applications.

8. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Can you do some gaming tests: Portal 2, Crysis Warhead, Crysis 2 etc?

and, if you have a mini-display port (AKA: Thunderbolt) to HDMI adapter, could you see if it's possible to connect a PS3 / xbox to the iMac?

9. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

regarding start up time, my 2011 base 27" took 30seconds which im very happy with :D

10. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Love your vids. Are you sure your taking it back mate, seem to remember you saying the MacBook air was not yours yet you have had it for a long time. It's good to buy apple products but don't be a sheep
    Justsaying. Good vid though thanks

11. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

As clearly stated at the start of the video - this machine is not mines. Im happy with my previous gen 27". Also re the MBA - if you are a regular viewer, I did indeed mention that it was my dads but having used it for a few days - I liked it and sold my MBP to buy myself a new MBA. In essence, I exchanged the MBP for a MBA - which i've said in countless videos.

I'll be trying out Mafia, Crysis and Portal 2 for game reviews and then doing speed tests - stay tuned.

12. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Wooohoooo thank you! Finally some gaming benches :D

13. rogerram macrumors regular

Love your unboxings, Samurai, seem to remember a meat cleaver being used on your dad's. Maybe a chainsaw next...!
    I always unbox my Macs by turning the box upside down once opened, then pull box from 'beast'-it's a lot easier. Saves me back!
    Thanks

14. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Now this is my favorite glaswegian :D

He always teach us how to open the box in such a manner way .. you should all learn from him :lol:

Anyway, I´d like to see

1. Heavy gaming benchmark, GTA IV, BlackOps, Crysis 1/2, Battlefield 2
    2. Photoshop performance, please try to apply heavy filtering to large photo
    3. Video encoding performance
    4. Compare boot time with Macbook Pro 2011 (this is the main competition for iMac) or Air

Wow sorry for so many request, but really .. I´m a fan, you know my ID here starts with an ´i´ like in iPod or iGlaswegian :cool: :rolleyes:

:apple:

15. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Cheers bud

1) Ive got a few games lined up, ive stolen them off a mate who is into his PC gaming. So this area should be fine and well covered.

2) I can't use Photoshop to save my life (well, literally). When you say 'heavy filtering' - could you shed some more light on this and/or any other tests you want related to PS.

3) Oh yesssss (Churchill advert). This won't be an issue.

4) ;)

16. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Sorry for confusing, but you´ve made a quite nice photoshop comparison video

The one you made here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhulqL96qcs

But with new iMac vs Macbook something :p .. I´m really looking forward for your test mate .. :)

If only you had the iMac with 2Gb DDR5 VRAM, that would be the maximum potential we can get .. but it´s cool, i´m afraid the gaming maybe suck a bit on native resolution with 1Gb VRAM, but we´ll see

17. skaiwoka macrumors newbie

hi, I'd like to see if there is yellow tinge on monitor.
    may you take a real picture of your imac surfing this webpage, without lights on room?
    http://tapplox.com/imac-led.html

thanks!

18. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Actually the 2GB model won't make that much of a difference in most things. 1GB will give pretty accurate results.

19. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Aight, I think I can handle that. I guess I was confused by the term which you stated lol.

20. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Here you go ;)

21. OptyCT macrumors 6502

Showtime's Dexter approves of the box opening ;)

22. Blake1 macrumors member

Samuri

I have a few games I would really to see benchmarked. Starcraft II and Company of Heroes. Company of Heroes is a windows based game, but I would love to see it run if you could! Thanks.

23. c0052350 macrumors member

Ha Barmy Scotsman

" I really should have charged it but such was the occasion I couldn't wait" Lol maybe try using a pen knife or some scissors next time and
    give that over worked bosch a deserving rest from cutting through all that tape.

24. skaiwoka macrumors newbie

thank you!!
    I am about to order 27'' i7, I still don't know if 1gb or 2gb video ram. I think vram is useful for virtualizing windows seven: 512mb vram for virtualbox, the rest for mac os x.
    I changed 4 imacs i7 2010 because of yellow tinge issue. I live in Italy, so maybe Apple will send me an imac from the same stock of your one: did apple send it from cork, ireland?
    I hope so