Video Importing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by My6AteUr8, May 28, 2012.

1. My6AteUr8 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if this is an iTunes, iPod or iPad issue but, here goes: iTunes will allow me to import most (not all) of my video files after converting them to MPEG-4 or MKV but, will not let me add them to my iPod or iPad. A window pops up stating that the file can not be played on the iPad or iPod. Does any one know why this is?

2. My6AteUr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Almost 500 views; someone has to know how to fix this. Someone, anyone.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

The iPad does not natively support mkv so it will not import those files. You need to load those separately into an application that will support them. Click on your iPad icon in iTunes, then select the Apps tab. Scroll down to the app that supports mkv and add the files to the Documents window on the right.

4. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

5. My6AteUr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Poloponies: How do I know what apps will support MKV? Ultimately, it won't allow me to put files that are MPEG-4 on to my iPad either. What do I do about that?

JMG: I don't understand what you're asking.

6. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Along with a video codec, the audio has it's own codec as well.

7. My6AteUr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not very computer literate so, I don't know what this means. Is this not as simple as just converting the file format and putting it on the iPad?

8. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Go to app store.

Searh for avplayerhd and download. Worth the few bucks.

Plug ipad into pc, start itunes, on the left side of screen click on your ipad name, now at top of screen click the Apps tab, scroll down to bottom of screen and click avplayerhd. The box to the right of it is for drag and dropping any type of video file you have.

Wait for video to load up on your ipad. When you have all yourvideos ade, disconnect ipad from pc. Start the avpayerhd app.

Watch movies. You can create folders, move, rename and delete files within the app to your hearts content.

Enjoy.

Alternatively, you can stream any vid file from your pc with the app VLC Streamer.

9. ethansamuel17 macrumors newbie

ethansamuel17

Video importing

You can have various iPad apps which do the conversions and even can download free software like videora and many more to get access of non-supported videos.

10. My6AteUr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded the avplayerhd but, it's not showing up on that list at the bottom of the screen with the box to the right. I can see it under the apps tab and on the iPad itself but, not where you say it should be. What should I do now?

Is there some kind of tutorial to teach me all of this stuff? I have the user guide but, it only covers basic menu options. How did you guys learn all of this stuff? How do I learn how to use this thing to it's full potential? So far, I feel like it's a waste of money. I'm in Afghanistan right now so, I don't have the ability to stream with this thing like the VLC Streamer app can. The only place I have wifi access is in my room. And I bought this thing so I could watch movies while running on a treadmill. If I can't put videos on this, it's useless to me.

11. WSR macrumors regular

Check out this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij_1NbUUwvc

12. My6AteUr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

13. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

You should post what you did to finally get it to work and save someone else in the future potential headaches.

14. My6AteUr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good call, JMG.

I purchased the AvplayerHD app through iTunes on my computer. I thought it automatically went to my iPad but, when I ejected my iPad, it wasn't there. It even showed up on the main list under the apps tab on my iPad in iTunes. After figuring out that I had to add the app to my iPad manually, it showed up where you guys said it would. Now I can drag files in to the app.

Thanks again!

15. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Glad it worked out!