Video in camera app vs video in messages - interesting find

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by adnbek, Oct 6, 2013.

1. adnbek, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Hey guys. Noticed something very peculiar just now. Was filming a video in low light conditions within the messages app (hitting the camera button and choose "take video") and I noticed how bright and very clear the video was. Not dark at all.

Switch to camera and take a video in the same conditions and it's extremely dark and you barely could see much. Switched back and same thing as previous with messages; much better low light sensitivity.

Why is it that the ISO can adjust pretty well to lighting conditions when taking a video within messages but is stuck on low ISO in the actual camera app. Can anyone else confirm if it's the same for you?

EDIT: I also noticed that it takes the video in low resolution if in messages so that may be why.

2. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Interesting indeed… Looking forward to some responses.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's most likely this. Think of it like a retina display in reverse.

With a retina display you take one software pixel and split it up over 4 physical pixels. The opposite is happening here: Since there are less pixels in the video the camera can use multiple sensor pixels to represent one video-pixel. This means it's essentially getting more light per video-pixel and can essentially see in the dark better.

4. adnbek thread starter macrumors 65816

adnbek

Yeah, that's what I thought. It would be nice if the camera app allowed for user-selectable resolutions. Extremely useful in low light, at the cost of quality of course. I was amazed at how bright the video was, when it was extremely dark at default res.