video in to macbook air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by binaryspazz, Jan 5, 2012.

1. binaryspazz macrumors member

I have the 11inch newest macbook, looking to do video into the macbook air display. I can't find anything that does this via thunderbolt.

If it helps, my intentions are to get my pandaboard to display on my macbook air display. HDMI out is what the board has.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no such thing as an 11" MacBook and the MBA does not have a video in. If you want to watch a video on a Mac notebook, play it from that notebook.

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

So you want to use the Pandaboard's HDMI-out to display video on your 11in MacBook Air's screen?

Well the only option would probably be to get some sort of USB video capture card... and I don't even know if those come with HDMI. You may have to spring for some sort of converter while you're at it to convert HDMI to component or something.

There's no easy way, if that's what you're wondering. USB video capture cards/devices have been pretty sluggish in my past experience, and I've only used them to record video input to make a movie of some sort.

Anywho, you're much better off using an external monitor with HDMI. Is that not an easy solution for you?

4. binaryspazz thread starter macrumors member

I thought with Thunderbolt being at bus level video in could be possible.

@KylePowers , thanks for the response.
    Tinkering away with an idea for a quick boot linux arm on the my mba, was hoping that I could tap into the display easily with out major surgery, but i guess not.

@GGJstudios You must work at the Apple store.. don't you...

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, I run my own company. Why?

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Wow. Just .... wow. I think it was extremely obvious what he was talking about, especially since this is the Macbook Air forum section.

---

The best way to get video external video into an MBA is, as posted above, to use some sort of video capture device. I don't think any Thunderbolt capture devices are shipping yet (and if they were they would probably be quite expensive). A capture device in general doesn't guarantee latency-free video display on your computer. They are geared more towards high quality recording than live viewing.

I would think that you could probably find some sort of small HDMI compatible display or television for close to the price of a high end capture card and you will probably be happier with that.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That doesn't mean anything, considering the number of times people post in the wrong forum or are mistaken about their own computer configuration. The post could read that they wanted to play a video on their MacBook and use the MBA screen as an external display, showing the video there. Questions like this have been asked many times before.

9. binaryspazz thread starter macrumors member