Video in UIView ?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ifreeman, Mar 20, 2011.

1. ifreeman macrumors newbie

Hi,

I would like to know if I can play a video in UIView?

I want to play a video in a small UIView (say 100 x 100 ) which should be played automatically when the UIView loads

First I would say what I tried out ... It would be really helpful if the experts ( I am a 2 week old baby in IOS development & Obj- C) to confirm whether the route i am heading is right..

I created a UIWebView and and tried to embed a video in it using HTML video tag (html5)
    For the UIWebview i set the allowInlineMediaPlayback to YES and mediaPlaybackRequiresUserAction to NO ... also in the HTML code, for the video tag, i used - webkit-playsinline

any help is much appreciated

2. ifreeman thread starter macrumors newbie

and here is the piece of code that i'm using -

NSString *embedHTML = @"\
    <!DOCTYPE HTML>\
    <html>\
    <head>\
    <script type=\"text/javascript\">\
    function playvideo() {\
    var myVideo=document.getElementsByTagName('video')[0];\
    myVideo.play();\
    myVideo.webkitExitFullscreen();\
    myVideo.height = 120;\
    myVideo.width = 120;\
    }\
    </script>\
    </head>\
    <body onLoad = \"playvideo()\" >\
    <video id=\"player\" webkit-playsinline width=\"140\" height=\"140\">\
    <source src=\"file:///Users/Shilpa/Desktop/Movie Player/MoviePlayer-ios4-Next/Movie-1.mp4\"/>\
    </video>\
    </body>\
    </html>";

webView = [[UIWebView alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(100.0, 170.0, 150.0, 150.0)];
    [webView setOpaque:YES];

NSString *html = [NSString stringWithFormat:embedHTML, webView.frame.size.width, webView.frame.size.height];
    [webView loadHTMLString:html baseURL:nil];
    webView.allowsInlineMediaPlayback = YES;
    webView.mediaPlaybackRequiresUserAction = NO;

webView.transform = CGAffineTransformMakeRotation(3.14/2);

[moviePlayerWindow addSubview:webView];

3. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

U could also use the standard MPMoviePlayer build in? drag your resources to your project, and badem, works! x)

4. ifreeman thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Jnoxx,

Thanks for posting .... but I am very much new to iOS and obj-c development ... can you please post it in a little more detailed way for me to understand ....

Basically, i want to play two videos simultaneously ... 1 video in full screen, another video in a small box (UIView or WebView) on top of first video (to be started after few seconds of first video playback)....

I tried to create two instance for MPMoviePlayer ... but when I initialize memory for the second player .... the video playing in the first player is stopped ..... is it a single-ton?

due to this reason, I used UIWebview for the second video playback .....

In summary - this is my issue -

What I need:

2 videos - video A - full screen ... video B small size on top of video A (playback of video B to astart after 10 secs of Video A)

What I get:

As of now - Video A plays in full screen ... after 10 seconds , video B starts, but in full screen mode (i do not want that)

Thanks.

5. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

I don't think that's possible from the HIG. That 2 video's play on top of each other, u can do multiple video's, in 1 view, since the 4.2 I think. But, not on top of each other, think google is your friend in that case :)

6. ifreeman thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm .... if thats the case , then :( .... thanks (anyway) Jnoxx ! :)

But i was thinking the case of iAD - though i do not have much knowledge about iAD - I know that iAD is used for mobile advertising in iOS....

so my question is , " does iAD support video ads ? "

if it does, then there should be a use case where we run the video ad over some custom developed media player/native player - playing video/ live streaming

isnt that case similar to mine??

so for the feasibility part of my requirement - i need to look more closely into how iAD is functioning ....

if any of u guys have any exp in iAdsection plz help me in .... in the mean time i shall also do my part of research ....

thanks all