Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Yep, you read that right! I found this to be fascinating and had to share it. Glad this video will never be lost to history. Link

SAMUEL SEYMOUR TALKS ABOUT LINCOLN ASSASSINATION

In Feb. 1956, Samuel Seymour made an appearance on the popular game show I’ve Got a Secret. It was essentially a game of “20 Questions” where celebrities tried to guess who a contestant was. On this specific episode, the panel of celebrities, including Lucille Ball, got to speak with a living piece of history.

In a piece published in the Milwaukee Sentinel, Seymour expanded on his experience and spoke of how, at the age of five, he had just gotten over his fear of being in grand Washington D.C. He says he regretted getting over this fear since it was only moments later that he heard one of the most influential and tragic shots ever being fired.

Unaware of what was going on, his first concern was for John Wilkes Booth, who he saw fall from the balcony. He also witnessed The Great Emancipator slumped over his seat after the shooting. He was the last living eyewitness to have seen Lincoln gunned down in Ford’s Theatre, and he would sadly die only 63 days after the above video was shot, a mere two days before the 91st anniversary of Lincoln’s death.

Fortunately, thanks to the Internet, this amazing piece of history will not be lost to the annals of time.

----------

And don't forget to smoke lots of Winston cigarettes folks.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yep, you read that right! I found this to be fascinating and had to share it. Glad this video will never be lost to history. Link

YouTube: video

----------

And don't forget to smoke lots of Winston cigarettes folks.

That is absolutely amazing and most extraordinarily interesting. Thanks hugely for unearthing and posting it. Fascinating.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Reaching 96 in the 1950s was highly unusual. It was customary for the host to give a carton of cigarettes to the guests on air, but of course he didn't smoke.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Not the first time I've seen this, but it's always fascinating to watch and I appreciate you posting it.

For someone of my age, the Civil War and events surrounding it seem like the far reaches of history. It's a period of time in the United States that's always fascinated me from an historical perspective, and something which I've studied a fair bit, but at ~150 years ago it just seems unreachable.

Even so, my mom is always quick to comment on the fact that when she was born, there were still Civil War veterans living. There were not many, and they were very old, but even so they were still around. She also talks about her great-grandmother taking the horses down to a creek for water, and seeing soldiers from a battle(most likely the Battle of Perryville) cleaning up-she turned around and ran away!

Seeing this video just kind of brings it home that the time period really wasn't that long ago-relatively speaking.

Up until just a very few years ago, there were still a fair number of living WWI veterans(the last US veteran died in 2011). With my grandfather's death last summer, I was reminded of how quickly WWII veterans are dying off, and whether or not my children(if/when I have any) will ever have the chance to meet and interact with one.

It was customary for the host to give a carton of cigarettes to the guests on air, but of course he didn't smoke.

They did give him a can of pipe tobacco.

If you really want to see something interesting, look up Winston commercials that were integrated into TV shows in the 1960s, where Winston was often a sponsor. You'll even find them on the Flintstones.

Unfortunately, this gentleman also passed away shortly after his appearance on the show, likely due to injuries from his fall referenced at the beginning of the clip.

Last edited:

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
The best part is that this clip will forever be alive on the Internet. There should be a movement in Hollywood to convert as many old archived films from the first decades of television as they can. I'm sure there are plenty of other gems waiting to be found and put on YouTube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.