Video Inverter / Display help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimgoodinmusic, Dec 21, 2007.

1. jimgoodinmusic macrumors newbie

Hello I'm new to Macrumors and hoping I can find a solution prior to Xmas. My son has a Macbook 13.3 model. The laptop was dropped and suffered a cracked display. I recently got a new display and installed it. Booted and tested all, isight, etc. all worked. I was not happy with how I reattached the bezzel and removed everything and somewhere in teh process sure that I damaged, broke a wire possibly on the video inverter (the chip panel under the hinge place, that is the inverter no?). My tests have been putting the cracked pan3el back in and it too is very dim and the icer is that the backlight works for neither.

Am I looking at a new inverter, if so how costly and easily obtained? I live in NY and possibly will give in and take to Tekserve.com but would prefer to bail myself out if possible. I noticed yesterday that when plugging in the video lead from the panel to the socket on the right of the inverter chip that that socket felt lose from the panel, is it possible this is where I severed something. Takign the hinge plate off and on was rather rugged so suspect this is where I did something.

Please reply here but copy to my email as I may see sooner, thanks Jim Goodin
    jimgoodinmusic@gmail.com

2. eman macrumors 6502a

Yes, the chip panel under the hinge is the backlight inverter. If you have no light in the LCD, it could be several thing.
    1. Inverter has gone bad from the shock of being dropped.
    2. You have a bad connector.
    3. Light has burned out on the LCD.

Good luck