[Video] iPhone 4 Reception Issue on Desk & Magazine - Not Being Held

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jason S., Jun 29, 2010.

1. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-8CoVoXpIo

And some backstory...

I normally keep my iPhone in a Griffin Simplifi dock. The phone almost always has 5 bars, so I have really good service; I am at the top of a hill and there is a cell tower not even a mile away.

Sometimes I just set the phone on my desk though, if I'm having an SMS conversation for example, and I noticed that every time I would pick it up, I had no or just one bar. Then the signal would increase in my hand.

I grabbed a magazine and set the phone on that... still happened, albeit not as bad.

My desktop is glass, with a faux metal cover that is glued to the glass. It's pretty much just like wallpaper; it feels more like plastic than any kind of metal. Also, it doesn't even come in contact with the stainless steel on the iPhone, so I'm not sure exactly how it is affecting the phone.

I did believe this was a hardware issue with the positioning of the antennas, but now after this, I'm wondering more and more if it is in fact just some weird software issue, or if there is something else wrong here. I also find it curious that even with the zero bars, I was still getting the texts that people were sending me, so I also believe that the signal is stronger than the phone is indicating.

How am I supposed to hold it a different way, if I'm not even holding it to begin with?

2. army91c macrumors 6502a

Couldn't you of added this to the 100 other threads?

3. Jason S. thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is a different problem, so no. Couldn't you have just not commented? :)

4. aibo82 macrumors 6502

It maybe your desk acting as a huge signal deflector and weakening the signal! I would suspect its the faux metal cover you have even though its plastic any form of metallic finish will have metal flecks in it!

So basically you creating the effect of wrapping your phone in tin foil when you set it down! ether ditch the film metal cover or get a wooden desk the iPhone im 100% sure is fine!

Does it do the same on a wooden desk?