Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apbidder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
your huge amount of text still does not support your previous statement. If you can't dazzle em with your briliance, baffle'em with your BS.....

Your alleged jailbreak vid doesn't proof anything, you are using a reverse reasoning model; you can't proof it is fake.

All the real jailbreaks have posted ample proof, while this vid is highly suspicious.

Not saying it proves anything. Saying it just looks believable. To summarize, I think it's foolish for someone to state whether it's real or not and regard it as fact despite lack of evidence are a bit too close minded.

Posted a link to the video with intent for open debate. To gather insight, opinions and thoughts. Not for people to present their opinions as fact and dismiss it...

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I don't believe I said the video was definitely fake; I said that it doesn't show what it needs to show to demonstrate a jailbreak. I will reiterate that the video shows nothing that could not be reproduced on a non-jailbroken device.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I don't think you are getting the point.

Items are always open for discussion, that's the whole purpose of a forum.

A single vid is posted, no folowup, the only link to the poster is a website with as motto "if you have time to kill".

No proof is supplied in the video.

Some of the most senior and reputable posters on this forum have supplied ample evidence that discredits the video.

I fully agree with you that insights, opinions and thoughts are to be sought, which has been done in this discussion, after which a vast majority of posters agree on the concept that there is no proof supplied in the vid.

You still don't accept that majority opinion and even state that this vid provides more proof than the real Dev teams ever did, which is clearly a false statement.

All in All, maybe it is time to evaluate your own statement with regards to facts and opinions and to whom it applies.

Last edited:

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Some of the most senior and reputable posters on this forum have supplied ample evidence that discredits the video.

As one of those senior posters, I would like to object to your use of the argument from authority. The fact that we've been around for longer than the OP really means nothing; our arguments should be judged on their own merit.

apbidder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
People are obviously getting too sidetracked here so let me steer everyone back. There's one thing that was obvious to me in the video that I'm curious about and that is:

FACT:
He doesn't attempt to show (whether implied or proven) that he he has a fully functional MobileSubstrate.
REASON:
PDANet relies on a third party launchdaemon instead of a substrate addon like TetherMe or MyWi. Installous is shown working, but doesn't show any installation. That requires AppSync, another MobileSubstrate addon. Among his jailbroken apps, there isn't an icon for Activator, WinterBoard or SBSettings (I'm aware that their icons can be disabled as a user preference).
CONCLUSION:
It may be a personal preference for some people, but I regard MobileSubstrate as a must have after I jailbreak. Almost everything I rely and look forward to revolves around it. It doesn't disprove that his device is jailbroken or not, but it makes me suspect that its one of the issues he's encountering which makes a jailbreak less useful for me from a personal stance.

Also, just because I appear not to be veteran doesn't mean in not. Because of preconceptions of news from sources that lack a background of credibility, I wouldn't want to start a flame war. I'm just trying to find the truth like everyone else, so I'm just pointing out the flaws in logic some people may have, but remain open to any clues on its validity...

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
As one of those senior posters, I would like to object to your use of the argument from authority. The fact that we've been around for longer than the OP really means nothing; our arguments should be judged on their own merit.

They are, they also have more background knowledge, which is inherent to more senior posters, everybody makes mistake, i certainly have and been corrected by newbies, not a big deal, i learn from it.

apbidder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Agree with you on that. Still wondering how transparent icons can be performed without root access though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.