Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
I just purchased it and immediately connected it to my Sony laptop (vgn-s560) and as soon as I connected it it froze. It's been stuck at the main screen for 10 minutes now.

I'ved tried toggling the hold switch and have held on to the Menu / Play buttons for 30 seconds and nothing!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
0s and 1s said:
I just purchased it and immediately connected it to my Sony laptop (vgn-s560) and as soon as I connected it it froze. It's been stuck at the main screen for 10 minutes now.

I'ved tried toggling the hold switch and have held on to the Menu / Play buttons for 30 seconds and nothing!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Did you install the iPod software (included with the iPod) on the Sony laptop FIRST? If not, you should do this.

As far as the resetting of the iPod goes, I don't know why your reset sequence hasn't worked. Here's the relevant Apple page: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
I'm assuming that new reset sequence is new? I don't remember doing it for the 4th gen iPod. I had already d/l iTunes 6, so I figured that installing the disc software was unnecessary.

No issues now. Uploading music/video as we speak.

I appreciate the help!

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
0s and 1s said:
I'm assuming that new reset sequence is new?

I'm pretty sure it's always been Center and Menu that did a reset on iPods. But sometimes I to that it was Center and Play ;)

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
0s and 1s said:
I'm assuming that new reset sequence is new? I don't remember doing it for the 4th gen iPod. I had already d/l iTunes 6, so I figured that installing the disc software was unnecessary.

No issues now. Uploading music/video as we speak.

I appreciate the help!
The iPod software and iTunes are NOT the same thing, so yes, you should install the iPod CD FIRST. It's smart enough not to reinstall iTunes if it's already installed.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
clayj said:
The iPod software and iTunes are NOT the same thing, so yes, you should install the iPod CD FIRST. It's smart enough not to reinstall iTunes if it's already installed.

There's also an iPod updater already available. Checkout macbytes for more.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
tech4all said:
I'm pretty sure it's always been Center and Menu that did a reset on iPods. But sometimes I to that it was Center and Play ;)

not to rain on your parade, but the Center and Menu buttons (when pressed simultaneously) have reset the ipod since the click wheel was used with the ipod mini. in all click wheel ipods, this system has been used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.