Video issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pivzavod, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Pivzavod macrumors member

My MBP is about 2 weeks old, and yesterday, playing video games, i noticed that sort of distortion appears in the lower part of the screen. It mostly happens when the picture changes fast. Looks like a line which runs through the lower part of the screen, but it does not change the color - only geometry.
    The same happens when i scroll the text fast. I checked the temps of the GPU - they dont go over 75C, and about 60C in normal mode. So i wonder what can it be.

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

3. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Is this under OS/X or bootcamp? If so, what display drivers are you running? The standard bootcamp set?

4. Pivzavod thread starter macrumors member

Under Leopard, i was testing using Prey Demo and Quake 4 Demo. When there is something rotating on the screen, it looks awful.

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Return it as soon as possible (hopefully you've not passed the 14-day cooling off period). You deserve a replacement.

6. Tom McMahon macrumors member

No need to take it back

Go into the games options screen and turn v-sync on. Sounds like tearing (what ever its called). Go to the games forum and ask there to be sure.

7. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Nah v-sync won't fix this. It has nothing to do with what he has described. Trust me, v-sync won't help.

8. Tom McMahon macrumors member

Maybe, but I would try vsync before returning the computer

NoLimits did exactly what the OP describes on my MBP. Looks like a horizontal break in the screen. Color is fine, just looks like the screen has a line through it, and only happens during fast turning movements. Turn vsync on in NoLimits and the problem is gone.

9. Pivzavod thread starter macrumors member

I turned vsync on in the game options as Tom McMahon suggested, but the problem still persists. By the way, what is NoLimits?
    I made an appointment in the genius bar, going there tomorrow. Looks like there is a problem with video memory. Let's see what they'll tell me.

10. Pivzavod thread starter macrumors member

Well, i had an appointment at the genius bar and the guy told that i need a replacement. He brought a new box, so we decided to test the new one, and it had the same issue. We started the game(Prey demo), and it was absolutely the same. So it must be a software problem. Moreover, the new MBP had a samsung screen which had a terrible gradient issue, so i decided to keep my perfect LG and apply for the video/logic board rplacement if the problem persists.

11. Tom McMahon macrumors member

That's a bummer. I run Quake 4, Nolimits, and Colin McCrea and Nolimits was the only game I've had do the tearing.

Nolimits is a roller coaster simulator. Google "nolimits". They have a free demo.