Video Issues with Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryansinit, Apr 21, 2011.

1. ryansinit macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I was recommended to this site from a friend because of a problem that nobody seems to know how to fix.

So here's the story:

Got my MBP Mid-2010, and I was happy with everything about it. I installed Windows and everything was working perfectly fine. It wasn't until a few months later when I got to school that it started acting up.

I started playing more and more games on my laptop (Windows partition), I noticed that sometimes it would completely freeze up and I would be forced to shut it down via power button. Initially the rate of the number of times I had to shut it down forcefully was about 1 time a week.

This became a more frequent phenomenon as I played more games, and it even started happening when I was not playing games (and just listening to music). Eventually, it got to a point where the computer crashed several times a day, and I could barely use it for more than an hour at a time.

My account of the symptoms was that when I was running anything that used the video card, the video card would sometimes fail. When it did fail, both my external monitor and my laptop screen would turn black, and whatever I was listening to or whatever was going on in game, the sounds would become long and stretched out. I could make that it was still the sound that was supposed to come out but it was slowed down greatly and did not recover. It even got to the point where, when I tried to restart, it would give me 3 beeps and then shut off. I had to give it a couple minutes before I tried restarting again. This even started to happen on my mac partition.

So what's the logical step to take? Talk to the Genius Bar.
    So I go in with my laptop and they check it out, while I explain the symptoms. They check everything out and eventually they replace my hard drive.
    Go back to my dorm and almost nothing is better. Go back to the Genius Bar. They replace my RAM.
    Go back to my dorm and almost nothing is better. Go back to the Genius Bar. They replace my I/O board.

Though things are getting a little better, in terms of usability, I still crash a few times a week when I am playing a game or listening to music. And if you've ever played games, I'm pretty sure you know what I mean when I say that it gets extremely frustrating when you keep getting disconnected.

At this point, I started using a utility on Windows called "Reliability Monitory" and I was able to single out the error that was causing my computer to randomly turn off. I saw that I would get video hardware errors at the times that I crashed.
    Here's the error:
    I then went to the Microsoft Answers forum to see if they could help me with the issue, but all the told me was that it was a hardware problem. I find it hard to believe I got bad hardware two times in a row.
    Here's the thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/cb5b7807-fdcc-418c-a29b-2fcdb034574a/

I have tried everything. Going to the Genius Bar. Keeping my video card driver up to date. Going to the Microsoft Answers forum and asking for help. So now I'm asking for help from the real experts. Please let me know if you have any idea as to why this is occurring (and sorry for the extensive explanation), any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

2. ryansinit thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, if you have any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.