Video issues with rMBP and El Capitan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rodrigo Yoshida, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Rodrigo Yoshida macrumors member

I have been experiencing some glitches when watching full screen videos from YouTube, Vimeo and similar sites, but only when they are embedded on others websites. It does not happen when I watch the video inside Youtube, Vimeo, even on full screen. It only happens on Safari, Chrome works perfectly well.

I am not sure if it is related to El Capitan or the MacBook I am currently using (MacBook Pro Retina 13, i5, late 2013 with Intel Iris), I asked some friends to open the same URL and do the same test, they could not reproduce those glitches. My main concern is about the source of the problem, if it is just a Safari bug or it may be related to my graphics card. Tried to reset the PRAM and SMC and it did not fix the problem.

Here is a video where I show exactly what's happening. Hope anyone here can help me.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep it's a safari bug apple hates flash and consequently it is rubbish on macs in general and in safari in particular.

3. Rodrigo Yoshida thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it's a Flash issue since I don't have it installed on my Mac.

4. adgoodma macrumors newbie

adgoodma

I also have video issues with my rmbp...
    It only has happened since the update.. My cursor disappears during video heavy moments. I have taken it to the genius bar- and even exchanged it for a new computer. New computer, same problem. All tests at the genius bar showed things must be related to software... it seems to happen when the computer switches between video cards.

5. Rodrigo Yoshida thread starter macrumors member

My rMBP has only one video card (Intel Iris). I guess yours is a 15 inch model. Also don't remember it happening with Yosemite.

6. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

I see the same issue on my base 15" 2015 model...Irritating but I am living with it....

7. Rodrigo Yoshida thread starter macrumors member

Could you post any URL where you see this issue?

8. Rodrigo Yoshida thread starter macrumors member

I was really worried about the possibility of having a hardware issue, so I ran a couple of more tests:

- Did a clean install of El Capitan. Still had the same error.
    - Did a clean install of Yosemite. The problem dissapears.
    - Asked a friend who owns a rMBP, same glitch happens with his machine.

So I can conclude it's a software issue that might only happen with retina screens, good to know my MacBook is fine. I believe it happens probably because of Metal API since 10.11 is the first OS X that uses it. I am just curious how people did not notice it, couldn't find any complain about this error.