Video Light- any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kwong2006, Dec 1, 2007.

1. kwong2006 macrumors regular

I found this online

Sima LED Light

Do you guys think this is good for quasi-professional uses?

2. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

It's an alright deal for about $40.00.
    Although, if you're looking for something "professional", LED light are pretty much the way not to go.
    LEDs have a tendancy to create uneven light, especially scene if you're using a HD camera.

If you're looking for professional lighting, look at Frezzi camera lights, you definately get what you pay for.

Just my 2 cents, still its a good deal for $40 since the Frezzi lights are past $100

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Quazi-professional? No. Any lights that mount on your camera are going to look god-awful. It looks like a spotlight, over-exposes your subject and under-exposes the background.

But if you're just shooting home movies, then I'm sure that'll function. You might want to diffuse it though. Or something.

4. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I use a light that was made by Canon that I like quite a bit. It uses my cameras backup batteries to power itself and puts out quite a bit of juice.

ppc_michael is partially right. I would never use this thing for something that can be done in multiple takes like a short film. But the light is an absolute necessity for one-take shots like when I do a wedding for someone. It may produce uneven lighting, but it's a lot better than no lighting at all.

In order to help you better, what kind of videos are you making? Is this still for your newscast thing? If it is, I would look at something higher end in the ~100 dollar range as that will give you a better spot. A bright front subject and no light in the background is common for newscasts, so it won't look so strange.

P-Worm

5. kwong2006 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, the video that I am making is still for newscasts. So I was wondering if this light would do. I am doing more and more night assignments myself, so I have a need (but not a very urgent one) to use a light.

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

7. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Quasi-Professional? A crappy camcorder attachment isn't even Quasi-Amateur. If you can afford a good light, pick up a few Lowell Omni's with Barndoors, and put diffusion on with clothespins.

If that's a bit too expensive, visit your local Home Depot and pick up a few 500 Watt halogen worklights. Pop the protective metal thing off and you have a cheap kickin light.

The thing is, cheap lights give cheap wavelengths of light. I'm a film student at Drexel in Philly, and white balance is everything. Cheap lights appearance of white wanders so much.

Just don't buy the damn camcorder attachment.