Video Lights - what are you using?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ChrisA, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ChrisA macrumors G4

What are you all using for video lights. I need to light a "classic" indoor interview. I've been aiming a big Home Depot work light at the rear wall behind the camera. I makes light but that is it.

I found some cheap soft-boxes sold by Cowboy Studios and ePhoto but all the reviews warn that the setup and tear downs take forever. Ideally I'd have a pair of soft-boxes the setup quickly.

I want to get just the basic three light setup, main, fill and back lights.

2. boch82 macrumors 6502

Whats your budget like?

Softboxes are good for a quick set up, but dont give the flexibility to focus the lights on what you want, more just flood the setup.

I'm a big fan of Kinos. 2 - 4 bank diva lights and a 2 bank diva will give you a great picture. You can also get different temp bulbs so you can play with white balance and warm/cool the set

3. ChrisA thread starter macrumors G4

Do you know the color temperature of these lights. I'm guessing they are very low, like tungsten lights?

I'm going to need a softer light, maybe I can bounce these or use a scrim.

But you are right, they look like they could be set up in a few seconds. The CFL softboxes are a 30 minute construction job

----------

Yes, those are nice. Exactly what I need but 5X over budget.

4. musique macrumors regular

musique

Used tungstens on ebay

Depending on your budget and timeframe, you could look at getting some used tungsten gear on ebay. Look at lights from Mole-Richardson and Arri. There are a lot of them and they will last a long time.

Also consider getting quality stands (also good deals on ebay). It's worth the money to not have a catastrophe on your sets.

Good luck.

5. ChrisA thread starter macrumors G4

I've got a Norman power pack system I use for still photos and the industrial style light stands to got with the lamp heads. I pick up stuff like stands at this photo swap meet. Some times you can find what must be 1950's vintage stands made with cast iron parts.

But I don't want "hot" lights. I used them in school back in the film era. A few thousand watts of lights can really heat up a room.

6. musique macrumors regular

musique

tungsten heat

You're right on that. The used Moles and Arris are almost all tungsten. I think both companies are making newer and higher-tech lights today.

It is amazing though how I've seen old Mole lights and stands in television and movies from decades ago.

One other thought: Have you looked into a company called Cool Lights (http://www.coollights.biz/)? I think they're manufactured in China. The guy who sells/reps them is active at dvxuser.com. Many people there say he's great to work with, the products are reasonably priced, and good value.