Video memory on MBP question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nGoldenm, Jun 24, 2007.

1. nGoldenm macrumors newbie

Ok, I've learned a good bit about the newer MBP lately. I used to own an iBook G4. I need to run Solidworks and AutoCAD on via Boot Camp. I have a few questions that I still have not been able to find a good answer for.

Can the MBP with the 128 MB graphics card share the system memory? I have no problem upgrading the RAM in the MBP up to 4 GB especially if it can draw from this memory while running graphic intensive things.

The most graphic intensive thing that I will be doing is 3d modeling in Solidworks. So would I be ok with the 128 MB or should I get the higher end model that has 256 MB video memory?

If the 128 MB would be fine, or if it can draw from the 4 GB of RAM, then I would much rather do that. It would save me a little change.

Off topic, but I used a friend of mine's MBP the other night. This is the first Mac that I've used since my old iBook. That thing blew me away. It's amazing how far they've come since I "left".

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It cannot share system memory. This would slow it down anyway: the memory that chip is tuned to used is much much faster.

3. nGoldenm thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I must have read some false information then about sharing the system memory. Thanks for clearing that up.

In that case will the 128 MB card be able run Solidworks doing 3D modeling without a problem, or do I need to get the 256 MB? I would rather not pay $400+ extra for something I may not need.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Standard MacBooks have no dedicated VRAM and use shared memory. MacBook Pros have far superior dedicated graphics chips with dedicated VRAM and cannot use shared memory.

I can't tell you anything about Solidworks, sorry!

5. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I'd just rather have the 256, knowing it's not upgradable, especially if there's any question... and I'm not even doing anything that 3d-intensive, I just want it to be future-proof for future 3d versions of the OS and applications. Go for the 256, you won't regret it.