[Video] My 3 Month Macbook 2.0 Unibody Experience

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by The Samurai, Jan 28, 2009.

1. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

YouTube link here

As per title, this video is about my experiences with this fantastic unit. Hope it helps those who are in the process of getting one.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Fantastic price? :confused:

Good for value? :confused:

Taking it to the store is better?

Surely you know that there is only one Apple store in Scotland, and the service there is pretty shocking sometimes. I took a faulty Time Capsule back to them and had to wait for at least fifteen minutes for them to be free to help me, despite already having an appointment at the Genius Bar.

Take the computer to the courier if it is a problem to wait for them. There are WAY more branches of TNT/UPS than there are Apple Stores.

3. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

4. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Fantastic price, I put the iPod and printer on eBay - iPod (£105) + printer (£65) + student discount (£132). Therefore, I paid £647 for the Macbook Unibody in the end. Don't know about you, but I consider it a darn good price.

Don't know about where you stay but... we don't have UPS/TNT pickup centres. You can't simply go and drop your parcel off, they pick it up from your location. More so, they don't provide a definite time line meaning you've got to waste a whole day. So in essence, I would quite happily wait 15 minutes to an hour at the Apple Store for assistance.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Yes they do. They both accept drop offs at their depots across the UK. UPS have two in the Glasgow area - one in Cumbernauld and one in Motherwell. TNT have one in Paisley and one in Belshill.

All you need to do is tell them that you want to drop it off instead of have a collection. I've done it multiple times and it works just fine and it's even easier if you have the label.

I'm actually a little surprised at your attitude to Apple's customer service. You say in your video that this is your first Mac, so how can you possibly know that the service is better than Dell's (who have a very good reputation for customer repairs)?

6. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Ahhh, I didn't know that about TNT/UPS drop off access. My previous Dell, I had problems with it when I bought it initially and I was required to send it back to Dell. I did ask them whether I could drop it off but Dell CS wouldn't allow it. Also, my 'nearest' UPS depot is 20 miles away (Cambuslang). Same goes with every (more or less) other courier company, as they are all situated in the same area. UPS was quite near my area a few years ago but relocated to 'middle of no-where' - presumably to save on costs. Again, I would rather go into the city centre and drop it off - I am sure anyone would (generalising, I know - but lets face it).

In regards to previous experience on Apple CS - very simple. If you take a look at my very first video on YouTube... it was to do with the loose battery latch. I contacted Apple and was dealt with very nicely - kept me informed, spoke nicely and most importantly, spoke proper English and understood my issue.

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of my aluminum MacBook. I would hardly call $1600 cheap, but I definitely think the value is there.

Can't comment on Apple Stores in Scotland, but 9/10 interactions with Apple customer service here in the States, for me, has been phenomenal. I work for a company that equates service on par with profitability on the bottom line, and I'm fairly critical of customer service. Apple is the only retail outfit that comes close to valuing service as much as we do. Not to say that you won't ever have a bad experience, but I thnk that has more to do with the individual than company. Coupled with the fact that I live within 25 miles of 4 Apple Stores (one of them only 5 miles from my front door) I definitely prefer going to the store as well.

8. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Well, satisfying a customer just after a purchase and satisfying them many months or years down the line are two very different things. In my experience, Apple's service is slow when they are replacing parts or doing any sort of work on the computer. I twice had to send my MacBook for service and both times it took about three weeks to get it back. Not exactly swift.

10. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Oh well... so far i've had a good experience with them and I don't expect anything better. Statistics, correct me if i'm wrong, showed that Apple Customer Care was rated pretty high - this has to speak for itself.

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I'm right there with you on this one OP. I've had to deal with Apple Care a couple of times since i bought my macbook in October, and it's been nothing but positive.
    Glad you're enjoying your MacBook. These suckers are starting to pop up everywhere. I LOVE mine! The looks, the handling, the performance! It's one of the best pieces of technology i've ever bought! :D

12. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

lol I was browsing youtube vids about the macbook and yours popped up and I was like I think I saw this posted on MR.. so I ended up watching it. lol you're accent is awesome, reminds me of Desmond from Lost hahaha. Can't wait to get one. I like the shaggy cloth thing you got..

13. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Desmond lol - ha ha. Just about to watch the latest episode for Lost as well.

Thanks for your kind comment(s).