Video Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by portcontrol7, Jun 19, 2012.

1. portcontrol7 macrumors member

Hello,

I like to take clips from video's and trim them in Quicktime for posting to my blog. I use the 'export for web' feature and select 'cellular' quality. It exports an mkv, and if it's say, a 4 and a half minute long music video for example, I often get a file size of around 10 MB. Is this appropriate, and is mkv a good compression type for video?

Thanks,
    Video n00b

2. simsaladimbamba

Strangely .mkv is not really a supported format (container) for QuickTime, but I guess the source is already an .mkv file?
    Anyway, 4 minutes compressed into 10 MB will look quite abysmal depending on the content.

Where do the clips come from, are they in HD, do you want them to look good, what is displayed and how do you want to embed them into your blog?

3. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

It's an MP4 movie that I open in Quicktime and cut the clip down to size. I just upload the movie to my blogger account for friends to enjoy. Yeah the quality is pretty poor but for it to play without stopping at today's average download speed I think it's about as good as I can do.

Strangely, whenever I export for web (even from a .mov file) it produces a .mov file of about 90 bytes that plays fine in quicktime (how the hell 90 bytes can look and sound so good I have no idea) AND .mkv. I suppose mkv is the standard output from quicktime when 'export for web' is used.