Video Newbie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tamvly, Jul 10, 2009.

1. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I am just getting into doing video on my Octo 2.8 MacPro and am looking for some advice.

What are the best programs for ripping DVDs and producing DVDs? I have a bunch of VHS tapes that I'll capture with an EyeTV Hybrid. But I also have some DVDs to rip and would like to try my hand at the creative side.

2. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Mac the Ripper is good for ripping. It depends on what you mean by producing DVDs. Are these DVD of material you've shot and edited or you're just wanting to remix footage from off a DVD? Toast may be your best bet for encoding, adding menus, and burning the disc. Be a little more specific about what your creative side plans to do.

4. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

U used to use Mac the Ripper due to it's free-ness but have had some issues with some DVDs. I now use Ripithttp://ripitapp.com/ and have had no problems with any DVDs and have been able to rip a DVD when MTR could not. Rip it is like 18.99. Once I rip the DVD, I encode the video to use on my Apple TV:apple: using Handbrake and then make a "backup" copy using Toast by copying the Video_TS folder and their included Fit to DVD compression. It all works like a charm!