Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
I just formatted my iPod for my new Mac. The problem is, videos do not show up on my iPod. They show up in iTunes, though. I have selected "automatically update videos" on the iPod options menu. What's wrong with it?

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
Update the iPod and restart it. There is an options in the iPod that allows you to make it into a video out device, make sure that option is disabled, only use it when connecting to a tv.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Try making a playlist on your iPod and dropping your videos into it. Then on the iPod choose Videos>Video Playlists>PlaylistYouMade. If your videos show up, everything's good. Just check in iTunes to make sure they're tagged as a "Movie" (or music video or tv show) Get Info>Options.

If your videos didn't show up on your playlist, they may not be encoded correctly. Run them through iSquint and see if that helps.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
If its TV Shows which aren't showing up, use Lostify (see sig) to tag them to TV Shows. They will then show up in a sub-menu of the Video section of your iPod.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Okay, so far nothing has worked. FYI, all of my videos have been bought through the iTunes Music Store, so I wouldn't think there would be a problem. All videos show up in my library, just not on my iPod. Is my iPod busted? So far, I have had problems with a 4G iPod(completely died) and an iPod mini(skipped all songs bought on iTMS). I have given a bunch of money to Apple for these iPods, and so far they all seem to be pieces of ****.:mad:

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Do you have a video capable iPod? Not to insult you or anything, but I saw someone on here complaining because I couldn't play video on his Nano. Only the 30 and 60GB Video iPods can play video.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Yes, I do have a 5G, 30GB iPod. What's confusing me is that when I used to use iTunes on Windows, videos downloaded fine onto my iPod. It's just when I reformatted my iPod to Mac that videos wouldn't download.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
have you authorized your Mac to play the video's? Make sure you can play them in iTunes. Just one more thing to check of the list of what might be the problem.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Are they formatted to iPod? You are able to import .mov files (among others) that will be added to your library normally but not be formatted properly, so they can't play.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Any other advice before I call Apple? I know it's probably going to be some stupid little detail that I overlooked and I'm going to sound like a complete idiot.:(

DeFett

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
Australia
Ju st wondering if anyone else has run into this problem with their iPod Video.

I have had mine for about 2 weeks when lastnight I noticed a white dot on the screen which doesn't seem to go away. It looks like it's about a pixel big and when you have dark sections of video is really noticable.

Is it big enough problem for me to take it back?

PS it's not dust.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
DeFett said:
Ju st wondering if anyone else has run into this problem with their iPod Video.

I have had mine for about 2 weeks when lastnight I noticed a white dot on the screen which doesn't seem to go away. It looks like it's about a pixel big and when you have dark sections of video is really noticable.

Is it big enough problem for me to take it back?

PS it's not dust.

That's called a stuck pixel. You can try bringing it back to the store, but if it's just one, Apple probably won't do anything for you. Still, it doesn't hurt to try. Just be polite. Explain that you use it to watch videos often and it's very distracting.

Just fyi - you should probably try to avoid adding unrelated questions to existing threads. You'll generally get more responses if you start a new thread with a descriptive title like "Problem with my iPod screen." Of course, you should first search the forums to make sure your question hasn't already been answered.

Hope this helps.

DeFett

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
Australia
Flowbee said:
That's called a stuck pixel. You can try bringing it back to the store, but if it's just one, Apple probably won't do anything for you. Still, it doesn't hurt to try. Just be polite. Explain that you use it to watch videos often and it's very distracting.

Just fyi - you should probably try to avoid adding unrelated questions to existing threads. You'll generally get more responses if you start a new thread with a descriptive title like "Problem with my iPod screen." Of course, you should first search the forums to make sure your question hasn't already been answered.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, thanks for the information.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
I had the same problem with TV shows I had bought not playing. I finally figured it out. It stopped working after updating to iTunes 7. I now know why. Here's what to do:

Hook up your iPod, let it open iTunes. Now, select your iPod in the left part of the main viewing window. Now you should see info about your iPod in the main viewing window. See the tabs along the top? Select "TV Shows" and make sure it is set to sync "all" episodes of all tv shows. By default (I am guessing), when iTunes 7 came out, someone at Apple decided to make this setting say to sync all *unwatched* episodes of all tv shows. Meaning that because the shows had been watched they were not being sent to the iPod. In theory they were trying to prevent problems with people filling up their iPod hard drive capacities with a bunch of shows already watched, but it was tricky to have to figure out what was wrong. It is easy to over think and try difficult fixes (metatag fixes for example).

This worked for me and should for you as well.

Good luck.

PS Because the thread is so old, you probably figured it out, but perhaps this will help someone else.

Susan.

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2006
Sorry

I've seen many of these threads all over the net with no answer. The hints in this thread didn't work for me either, but I've gotten help here before so I'd like to comment. I guess I'll be taking my laptop and ipod into the Apple Store though.

I have a six month old mac and three month old video ipod. My ipod is exactly the same as the one I had before, except that it was replaced by the Apple Store because my other one was a lemon and would crash all the time. I have the newest software updates. I have checked every single preference to make sure that everything is supposed to sync. I've asked to sync all episodes of all TV shows. I have purchased all of my TV shows directly from itunes.

I can tranfer all of the TV episodes I downloaded prior exchanging my ipod to this newer ipod. I can't transfer any of the episodes I have bought since exchanging my ipod to this new ipod.

When I open itunes and plug in my ipod, a message pops up saying, "Some of the items in the itunes library were not ocpied to the ipod because your ipod software is too old. Go to the Summary tab in ipod preferences and click update to get the latest ipod software update."

Needless to say, there is no "Summary" tab, but when I click on the ipod, it says that my software is up to date and like I said my preferences ask it to transfer everything. Oh, and my computer is authorized at the music store.

Any ideas?

Susan.

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2006
okay, I do have a "summary" tab, but everything else I said was true. There is no additional updated software available.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
Susan, if I were in your shoes I would restore my iPod, then resync and see what happens.

Detailed directions I found in another post, which I'll quote below:

CAUTION THIS ERASES YOUR MUSIC.

had to go to summary/restore/update

it downloads update to 1.2 and then restarts iteself.

learn how to restore iPod, iPod mini, and iPod nano to factory settings.

If you need to restore an iPod shuffle, click here.

Background

It is important to understand the difference between "update" and "restore". Update simply installs the software that controls iPod and does not affect the songs and files stored on iPod's disk. Restore erases the iPod's disk and restores iPod to its original factory condition.

Warning: because Restore erases all of the songs and files on iPod, make sure to back up any files you've saved on the iPod disk. All of your songs, videos, podcasts, audiobooks, and games can be loaded back to your iPod provided that you have them stored in your iTunes Library. If you use the Nike + iPod Sport Kit, see this document for more information.

How to restore iPod

Ensure that you have an active Internet connection as new versions of iTunes and iPod Software may need to be downloaded to your computer.
Download and install iTunes 7.0 or later if you do not already have it installed.
Open iTunes, and then connect your iPod to your computer using the USB or FireWire cable that came with your iPod.
After a few moments, your iPod will appear in the Source pane in iTunes.
Select your iPod in the Source pane and you will see information about your iPod appear in the Summary tab of the main iTunes windows.
Click the Restore button. You will be prompted with one or more restore options that may prompt iTunes to automatically download of the latest iPod Software. The 4 possible restore options are:
Restore Option 1: Restore - Restores with same iPod Software version already on iPod.
Restore Option 2: Use Same Version - Restores with same iPod Software version already on iPod even though a newer version is available.
Restore Option 3: Use Newest Version - Restores with the latest iPod Software on your computer.
Restore Option 4: Restore and Update - Restores with the latest iPod Software on your computer.
If you are using a Mac, a message will appear prompting you to enter an administrator’s name and password.
A progress bar will appear on the computer screen indicating that the first stage of the restore process has started. When this stage is completed, iTunes will present one of two messages on screen with instructions specific to the iPod model you are restoring.
Restore Instruction 1: Disconnect iPod and connect it to iPod Power Adapter (typically applies to older iPod models).
Restore Instruction 2: Leave iPod connected to computer to complete restore (typically applies newer iPod models).
During the stage 2 of the restore process, the iPod will show an Apple logo as well as a progress bar at the bottom of the display. It is critical that the iPod remains connected to the computer or iPod Power adapter during this stage. Note: The progress bar may be difficult to see since the backlight on the iPod display may be off.
After stage 2 of the restore process is complete and the iPod is connected to the computer, the iTunes Setup Assistant window will appear asking you to name your iPod and choose your syncing preferences similar to when you connected your iPod for the first time.

Susan.

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2006
Thanks. I went to the Apple Store last night and they were no help. They claim they've never heard of this problem. :rolleyes:

I came home and tried the restore thing. I did confirm at the Apple Store that my laptop has all the right software. It seemed like the restoring worked because last night I could play podcasts without crashing. It also worked this morning. Then at lunch, it crashed twice and then it stopped playing in the middle of a podcast without crashing--it just stopped abruptly and went back to the main menu. I checked the settings of the podcasts on itunes to make sure they weren't set to stop before the end. I'm so puzzled. But then it quit crashing and if I can't make it crash more regularly, there is nothing to show the Apple Store (prior to the restoring, the ipod would crash on any podcast cued up to start at 0:00) now it won't crash on command.

The guy at the Apple Store said that I should try turning off the EQ on my ipod because that might react badly with the podcasts. That seems ridiculous but I'm trying it.

The Apple Store guy said that I can't delete the most recent ipod update. I may try to reload itunes 7 from scratch and restore the ipod again.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
Susan. said:
Thanks. I went to the Apple Store last night and they were no help. They claim they've never heard of this problem. :rolleyes:

I came home and tried the restore thing. I did confirm at the Apple Store that my laptop has all the right software. It seemed like the restoring worked because last night I could play podcasts without crashing. It also worked this morning. Then at lunch, it crashed twice and then it stopped playing in the middle of a podcast without crashing--it just stopped abruptly and went back to the main menu. I checked the settings of the podcasts on itunes to make sure they weren't set to stop before the end. I'm so puzzled. But then it quit crashing and if I can't make it crash more regularly, there is nothing to show the Apple Store (prior to the restoring, the ipod would crash on any podcast cued up to start at 0:00) now it won't crash on command.

The guy at the Apple Store said that I should try turning off the EQ on my ipod because that might react badly with the podcasts. That seems ridiculous but I'm trying it.

The Apple Store guy said that I can't delete the most recent ipod update. I may try to reload itunes 7 from scratch and restore the ipod again.

Assuming you have a bad hard drive, it will get worse, and then you'll have something to show the people at the Apple Store, and then they should replace it under warranty (or repair it). This is assuming it is under warranty (I don't remember).

Rayona

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2006
me too

I have exactly the same problem and took my iPod to Apple store. They gave me a new one (5th generation so all software is current) and it still won't let me download videos........bummer!! Please let me know if you get an answer from them...Thanks!

sciroccojim

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2007
I just found this forum in an effort to solve the following problem:

My 60 gig ipod video was unable to receive a movie because the software was "too old," despite updating the iTunes software. The iPod software was version 1.1.1. and the Update button was greyed out.

I clicked the Restore button and decided to hit Cancel at the next prompt, just to see what would happen. Lo and behold, the Update button became available and I was able to easily update the iPod to V1.2.1

I joined up to share this in the hopes that it might help someone who's experiencing the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.