Video not transferring to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TaKashMoney, Sep 26, 2007.

1. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

I thought I was very up to date and knowledgeable of the appropriate video formats inorder to play on the iPhone. However, some files will now not transfer over to my new iPhone and its a bit annoying. Here is the information provided about the video. Could someone explain what I did incorrectly during the encoding process? I seem to be having the same issues while using iPhone Remote as well and it has nothing to do with file size. Is there something funny about using .m4v instead of .mp4?

Here is the info about 1 video that is being rejected by the iPhone.

Kind: MPeg-4 video file
    Size: 148 MB
    Bit Rate: 127Kbps
    Total Bit Rate: 940 kbps
    Video Dimensions: 720 X 400 (well within the 640 X 480 total pixel limit of 307,200)
    Video Codec: H.264

Thank You so much for any input!

- TKash

2. TaKashMoney thread starter macrumors 6502

I hate boosting my own thread but i would love an explanation!

Thanks again!

3. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Why are you using 720 x 400 when the iPhone only supports up to 640 x 480 and, more importantly, only displays 480 x 320?

I encode AVC/H.264 (.mp4 extension) at 1500Kbps, 480 x 320, and it always works.

I suspect you're running into a brick wall most likely because the specs of your output file do not meet the specifications for the H.264 Baseline Profile that iPhone recognizes.

4. ordovice macrumors newbie

Another thing to be careful of is PAR or Anamorphic settings in most compression programs. If they're enabled, the iPhone (and iPods) won't accept them as valid video files, even though they'll play fine in QT and on the AppleTV

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

i don't think the issue is being within total pixel limit, but rather the actual dimensions. it probably checks if x > 640 and y > 480 and just says "sorry buddy!" and that's it. why not just use an app that already has an iPhone setting and let it do the guess work for you?

6. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I use quicktime pro just for this reason.
    But I have used other applications like isquant and handbrake and never ran into a problem.