video-OCZ VERTEX 3 Boot time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smoak888, Apr 8, 2011.

1. smoak888, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011

smoak888 macrumors newbie

2. brokeneck macrumors member

Nice! I also got the Vertex 3 and have a similar startup. I got the 240 GB version and installed in in my 17 inch Macbook Pro. I also have occasional beach balls. No real pattern, they come randomly and only once in a while (maybe on average 1 an hour, lasting around 15 seconds). It's annoying to me. This machine is as close to perfection as I have ever had with a computer. I upped the RAM to 8GB, Optibayed it and have a 7200 RPM 750 GB hard drive to go with my smoking fast Vertex 3. I have been playing around in aperture quite a bit and the thing is amazing.

I did all the stuff posted here, reset PRAM, made sure SSD is set as startup drive, enabled TRIM, etc. I set it up originally using CCC but then decided to rebuild it to see if the beach balls would go away. No luck. I will probably buy one of those cables from ifixit to see if that helps. But even if I have to live with the occasional beach ball I will be satisfied overall.... just feels a little bit like having a new lexus and there is a scratch - a bit annoying. All in all the thing rocks.

3. DarkFlame macrumors regular

Try not turning on TRIM, I have not had a single beach ball in 5 days. Nothing very processor intensive though. At all. I never turned it on but have had no problems. I put the oem hd in the optibay. I know exactly what you mean by perfection.

13" uMBP 2011 - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333mhz - 120G Vertex 3 SSD - NewModeUS Optibay Kit = $1389.00

4. klinic macrumors member

Anyone experiencing any 'pauses' or anything with these Vertex3 drives? I've heard of people having problems with other non-apple SSDs where they will run faster, but have brief pauses before going back to normal speed which causes them to perform slower then Apples SSDs in realworld use.

5. keantan macrumors regular

I have a vertex 3 240gb in my mbp 17" i do get these issues occasionally as well. a bit unnerving when trying to save thesis progress while working and it does that

6. brokeneck macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion, trying this now and will report back.

7. rrzwarte macrumors newbie

I can confirm it is a problem with the TrimEnabler-tool. I have a Vertex 3 240GB in my 2011 17" MBP and enabling Trim also gave me occasional beachballs en hickups. I disabled Trim and beachballs are gone.

8. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

There is literally a second or so difference in boot up time between that and my OWC Merc Ext Pro. Why is there so many threads stating how amazing the boot times are with this drive yet they really arent that amazing at all?

9. smoak888 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not really a show of how amazing the ocz vertex 3 is. Just showing that it works well in another laptop.

i also disabled trim support and it works much better! no beach balls or pauses.

i assume that the sandforce driver innate garbage collection will be just as good to keep performance up in the long run....or at least i hope!

anyone else have thoughts on trim vs. garbage collection?

10. amarcus, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

amarcus macrumors 6502

I'm of the opinion that apples TRIM implementation just ain't ready for prime time...

11. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Probably why it's not released yet.

12. brokeneck macrumors member

I am just confirming - I am beach ball free since ditching TRIM.

13. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    same here, only had x3 isolated episodes but i did notice my bout-up time increased from 7-9 now 11 secs.. resorted and everything went back to as it was!

14. NikonD3s macrumors newbie

Are you saying you restarted everything and are back to 7-9 seconds to boot up?

15. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

You should all disable TRIM, Sandforce drives have firmware based garbage collection, TRIM support is a little buggy in OSX currently.