Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alphanumeric

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I've been experiencing the iPhone 4 in hand reception issue since my phone arrived on June 23rd. I've read some comments online from people who said they couldn't reproduce the symptoms in the Apple Store. Well today I happened to be in an Apple Store and I was able to reproduce the exact issue I've been experiencing with one of the display devices. I didn't have to do anything special to recreate the issue with the display device other than hold the phone exactly like how I used to hold my iPhone 3g. BTW, the video was shot with my iPhone 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3dMhyti02o

BKNY

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Earth
Hello

Mined doesn't have that problem, i have been trying for couple of hours now and nothing.. i guess i'm one of the lucky few

RyanG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Thumb on the left side, index finger on top, middle and ring finger on right side...it's how I have always held a phone and I've yet to have a reception issue.

You're doing it wrong bro, you gotta cover the left corner with the vulcan death grip.

Seriously, that is the most retarded way I've ever seen a phone held.

JustinP81

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Celebration, FL
Thumb on the left side, index finger on top, middle and ring finger on right side...it's how I have always held a phone and I've yet to have a reception issue.

I hold it almost the same way. Thumb on the left, index finger on the upper back of the phone, ring and middle finger on the right side, almost on the Apple logo, and my pinky finger goes under the phone / over the dock connector.

MacNasty

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
i dont have a iP4 yet...but i went to the apple store over the weekend to check it out...and i experience this first hand...put it in my left hand like all the pictures and saw the reception slowly go down.

hopefully they get this fixed

vlug

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2009
Brilliant example of this terrible design flaw :( just hope a software fix can sort it, else my phone is going to have to go back and I wanna keep it.

Alphanumeric

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Brilliant example of this terrible design flaw :( just hope a software fix can sort it, else my phone is going to have to go back and I wanna keep it.

I would also like to be optimistic and think a software fix can solve this design flaw, but I have a feeling the only fix will be a redesign/modification of the hardware. I'm also in the same position with wanting to keep the phone, but if this issue is not officially addressed I think its going back...

cloudberrybrew

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Atlanta
not another thread with another video that we already know about
bash.gif

SonoViva

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
CA
I love how the fingers turned white with effort.... Seriously, who holds their phone like they want to crush it?

Alphanumeric

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I love how the fingers turned white with effort.... Seriously, who holds their phone like they want to crush it?

I really didn't hold the phone any harder than I would have normally held my iPhone 3g. You could basically the rest the phone in your hand produce the same results...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.