Video of leather loop has put me right off it

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Pinksteady, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

The Verge's review unit was the Stainless Steel with black leather loop, exactly the model I was going to get, but from watching the video, the strap looked almost plasticy and I didn't like it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noZAqbn92gM

I'll need a night to think on it, but generally I haven't liked the look of the Stainless Steel and I'm considering downgrading to just a black sports for this generation as it seems clear that this model isn't going to be the one to last years and I'm not so sold on the premium materials as I thought I'd be.

2. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I never cared for the leather loop. Directly from his AMA on Reddit, "Love the leather loop. Doesn't loosen, but I mess with it a lot.
    Lots of other people tell me it's ugly, though."

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/31vw1x/im_nilay_patel_editorinchief_of_the_verge_and_ive/

3. MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

During TheVerge's Periscope Q&A, I asked if Leather loop felt like true leather, they told that it had a very plastic feel.

4. fs454 macrumors 65816

Yeah, today is really swaying what I want pretty heavily.

On one hand, I was going to go with the Steel + link bracelet. Reviews are leading me a little far towards the inherent underpowered-ness and overall usefulness of this as a Gen 1 product pushing me to spend a little bit less than a grand on one. I'm usually an early adopter, but this time it's a little different.

My backup plan was a Sport with an added leather loop band, but even that now may not satisfy what I'm looking for.

I'm on a pretty large fence about it all.

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I would want to feel one in person before deciding. I certainly wouldn't let anyone from the Verge sway me. Apparently they also didn't like the milanese loop but Joanna Stern said she loved it.

6. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Last night I was certain: SS with black leather loop. Like you, that video's put me completely off it. Indeed, it put me off shelling out so much money on any SS and the Sport was back on the table. Except I only like the silver Sport with the black band, which you can't get without paying extra.

So I'm back on the SS with black Sports band. It's the cheapest SS option and Daring Fireball was full of praise for the Sports band:

The Sport Band is a downright revelation — I’d go so far as to call it the most comfortable watch band I’ve ever worn. I’ve rolled my eyes at Apple’s use of fluoroelastomer in lieu of rubber to describe the material of these bands, but it truly does have a premium, richly supple feel to it. The way the end of the band tucks under the other side of the strap — a design Marc Newson first used at Ikepod — is brilliant. Up until now, it struck me as odd that the $10,000 Edition models came with the same bands4 as the entry-model $349/399 Sport watches. Having worn it, it now strikes me the other way around — that the $349/399 Sport watches are equipped with straps that can genuinely be described as luxurious, fluoroelastomer or not.​

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Ditto, thought I would like the leather the most. Sports band looks the way to go

8. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

9. WilliamG macrumors 604

Not sure what people are seeing as ugly. I'm still getting the SS + black leather loop. It looks great.

10. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

No wait! Plasticky feel?

11. MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

Yeah apparently even if it's true real leather, the feel seems to be plasticky. They started touching it and said that "it didn't feel like real leather"

But I will personally still buy it in next few weeks after release since I'll need another band than sport, which atleast "look" a little bit more premium

12. Chiguy12 macrumors member

Chiguy12

After watching that video I totally agree with you. What was the guy in the video doing with his Apple watch? Skip to 9:56 are those smudges or scratches? He only had this watch for a week. I took a screenshot below.

Attached Files:

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Exactly what I'm thinking. I was debating getting the steel watch but after watching the review videos today, I'm going to stick with the Sport. I think it will attract less dirt and fingerprints.