Video on a budget - Advice?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chairman Plow, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

I'm admittedly new to video, but wanting to film and edit shorts (on a budget!).. and possibly a music video or two.

While tape seems to be slowly on it's way out in favor of hard drive and flash memory based cameras, the prices are appealing..lol. But that aside, is HD the way to go, or is 3CCD DV still the way to go? (I've read that some higher end pro-sumer 3CCD cameras provide near-broadcast quality) I'm currently considering the following choices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830180097

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120239

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830145074

I've been learning my way around Final Cut Express, but my current (beat-up JVC) cam won't do. Your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. bandaros macrumors member

I own a Canon HV20. Superb little camera. I would venture to say the image quality is unbeatable within it's price range. You should check out the newer iteration, the HV30, which is essentially the same except it's got a sleek black paintjob and 30i support.

Newegg's got the HV30 going for $800. Check out alphaelectronics - they've got decent deals for lenses and whatnot as well.

Image quality is astounding, given the price of the cam (you can get the HV30 for $700-750 if you shop around, cheaper for the HV20 used).

Here's a sample vid shot with the HV20.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Hard disk based cameras are common in consumer-level gear, but the majority of it use codecs that don't cater to editing. You really want to stick with a tape-based camera with Firewire for this.

The HV20/HV30 is a fantastic camera for the money. It's probably the best value consumer HD camera on the market. It is a single-chip camera, but don't let that mislead you. Most sub-$1,000 3-chip cameras skimp on quality and features and don't necessary look any better than a good single-chip camera.

4. Chairman Plow thread starter macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

5. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

I have the Canon XHA1, and while I know it may be well out of your price range, I am letting you know because even with my camera, I am constantly being impressed by the work done with the Canon HV20 and 30. Additionally, there is a gigantically helpful and creative user base for the Canon HVs that will really help you get the most bang for your buck.

Check this out: http://www.vimeo.com/groups/canonhv

BTW - great video solomon! I am also in Georgia, but in the lawrenceville area. Do you have any other videos posted?

6. Chairman Plow thread starter macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

I've spoken to others outside of this forum, and they also give positive input, steering me toward (again..lol) the Canon HV20 and 30. I will see if the local Best Buy or Circuit City have it in stock to see it in person before I buy. Thank you all.

7. bandaros macrumors member

Smart move checking it out in person first.

Couple of things:

It's a bit of a light camera to work with if you're going hand-held. If you have a shaky hand, I definitely recommend a getting a tripod. I have a wide angle lens on mine so that gives it a little more weight.

The only minor niggle I have with the cam is that if you're shooting 24p (or 25p for those of us in PAL territory), the HV20 doesn't really play well with sharp, fast pans. Normal shooting mode (30 frames) is fine.

BTW TaKashMoney, I didn't make that video ~ although I will say it was the deal-maker that sent me to the shop with wallet open :D