Video on iPad 2 looks washed out

Discussion in 'iPad' started by duk, Mar 30, 2011.

1. duk, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

duk macrumors regular

Title says it all, very low contrast and muted color, it's like this on every YouTube video I've watched and Netflix. Anyone else? Pictures look sharp and colorful... Wonder what the deal is.

2. 26.2 macrumors member

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The deal is either:

1) You are watching in bright day light or simulation thereof

or

2) Brightness level is turned down

or

3) You have a defective unit.

Figure it out and take appropriate action.

4. aibo82 macrumors 6502

Yes I agree! If you watch something and the scene in the movie/video drops to what should be a pitch back image it dont you can clearly make out the letterbox lines.

Its like the brightness as been set to high and the all the deepest black levels of videos are overblown, yet the letterbox bands top and bottom and the screen its self drives down much further.

Its like apple have set the brightness controll for playback to high.

A strange thing is while you play the video and tilt from portrait to landscape the contrast ratio breifly returns to normal!

So yes i agree with you this is an issue!

5. duk thread starter macrumors regular

Why the apologist? It's gotta be my fault, it couldn't be the product/software. Did you not read where i said pictures look sharp and colorful? Im using the same eyes to look at them btw. Apple does quite well, they aren't hurting, they don't need people making excuses for them, it's really kinda freaky.
    p.s.
    I think I figured out why you might not be seeing it, just went to youtubes most viewed and "Friday" actually looked pretty sharp... So try taking that off 24/7 repeat and watch anything else and you may see what I'm talking about.

6. rgeraght macrumors newbie

This is a real issue on the ipad 2, its more obvious on movies were the black bars are encoded into the image, you can see they are gray and not black. It is the same effect as increasing gamma in profile settings on mac desktop, as if a wrong profile is applied to the video.

This does not happen on ipad 1, if you compare video between the two it looks much better on ipad 1, with ipad 2 washed out.

It seems limited to video playback, photo displays are fine and apps in general, so seems a software issue with videos, and not a general ipad hardware issue, hopefully Apple will fix this

7. duk thread starter macrumors regular

this is exactly what I am seeing. I noticed it right away, as I was used to pictures AND videos really standing out on my 1st gen ipad, Probably a simple color profile adjustment will do the trick, sure hope it's not something permanently associated with the new graphics chip. Although, to be clear, this is not a deal breaker by any means, I'm still really loving the upgrades in the ipad 2 over the ipad 1.