video on the 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LLL1424, Jul 15, 2009.

1. LLL1424 Contributor

LLL1424

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IboihWBAUQ

i did a video test and im pretty happy with the quality of the video. why is it that when you upload it from your phone, the quality goes down by a lot? nonetheless, enjoy!

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Because a (for example) 45 second video might be 20-30 megs on the iphone in full resolution but when it's uploaded to youtube, it's downgraded so you're not sending a 20-30 meg file. You'll note it says "converting" or something similar before sending. It's re-enconding it at a much lower resolution (bitrate). That same 45 second sample will get squashed from 20-30 meg down to about 2 meg.

3. Narco220 macrumors regular

Yeh the quality of the video is rubbish when its uploaded to youtube very anoying

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I haven't tried it yet but does it still convert it when you are connected via wi-fi? My guess it converts it all. Would be nice if it detected you were on wi-fi it would upload in full resolution.

5. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Yes, even if connected via wifi the 3GS compresses the video when sending to YouTube.

To send the video at full resolution you need to get the video off the 3GS with iPhoto on your Mac and then upload it to YouTube using your web browser on your Mac.