Video organization

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matteusclement, Dec 21, 2010.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Phew! X-mas break couldn't have sooner at school.
    I am going through my HDD's and it's a MESS!
    I was hoping to get some advice on the next stage in my video & photography world.
    First up, I have a hackintosh MP, this is why I have so many extra HDD's.

How would you organize this set up?

Internal
    6 x 1TB BLK WD
    3 x 500GB SG
    2 x 750GB SG (one is OS)

External
    2 x 1TB
    I have these in one eclosure that reads as two and use this as a back up using time machine from one drive to the other drive. Is this safe?

2 x 500GB
    Have as JBOD as a laptop Time machine for me and my gf's laptops.

I use photoshop for my photography but as of late I am doing ALOT of video with canon t2i + canon HV30. I convert all my raw files into prores which is eating up space, hence why so much hdd space.
    As I also use color (and will be getting into AE + Motion more soon) so that eats up space on render files.

I have used this set up so far with the internals
    750 - OS
    2 x 1tb - raid 0 (software)
    2 x 500GB - Raid 0 (software)
    1 x 500 GB - windows 7 (NEVER USE IT)
    2 x 1 tb - general storage & capture drives.

thoughts?

2. dizzie1 macrumors newbie

Ever thought about changing the RAID setup to mirrored storage/ backup?

3. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

seeing as I have the external 1TB's doing that with time machine, I feel it's working fine. I use that 1TB time machine for all of my FINAL work and while working on an actual project, I run alot of my stuff off the RAID 0's. So it might look like this:

1tb black - capture disc
    1tb black - back up that capture disc
    RAID 0 - color & scratch disc

so I am hoping in theory that if any of those drive eat it that I am backed up or have to just re render the project. seeing as most of my projects are 5 mins or les right now, redoing color wouldn't be the end of the world.

But again, I wonder if there is a better way of doing things, like a raid 10?

4. KeithPratt, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

To be honest with you I don't understand any of this...

Five disk types: OS, OS backup, scratch, archive, archive backup.

My scratch is RAID5, and that's enough protection against downtime for me. Footage goes straight onto archive drives. Have the backups in a separate location to the originals. A lot of people will advise you to have a minimum of three copies of any original material, but I play with fire with only two most of the time.

Oh, and are you keeping the ProRes transcodes (as opposed to the originals) and renders when you archive?

5. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

I don't keep the prosres transcodes because I can convert the originals if I realy need them later. BUT, with that being said, i have wanted to start archiving the entire project from FC for about 6 months incase I need to edit something for a client.

so you drop all your scratch stuff (color, AE, FCP) onto a RAID5 and you find the speed to be good enough?

I don't even have an OS back up. Is that bad?

6. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

That's good. I thought you might be keeping the ProRes unnecessarily.

Yeah. It's a four-disk set and runs at over 250MB/s.

You know your OS drive is going to die when you're hurrying to finish the biggest project you've done, don't you?

7. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

You know your OS drive is going to die when you're hurrying to finish the biggest project you've done, don't you?[/QUOTE]

Of course. How else would that go down? LOL
    Actually when I did my co-op over summer for a large organization, I had everything in quadruple and some how I still stressed about something going wrong.

I will see if I can do raid 5 with my card, but i dont think I can. it's software raid.