video out from my mbp (2010)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by insurrect, Jun 12, 2010.

1. insurrect macrumors newbie

im trying to connect my mbp (2010) to my tv. been looking at dealextreme and realised they sell two different minidisplayport to vga and im not sure which one to get.

one of them is Mini DisplayPort Male to VGA Female Adapter (1080p) and the other is Mini DisplayPort to VGA M-F Adapter (White).

can someone enlighten me which of the above will work for my mbp? i dont get whats the male and female thingy means.

thanks!

2. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

If you are looking at 1080p, I would imagine your TV has HDMI input? Why not get the MiniDisplay port to HDMI and then not have to worry about an audio line?

3. raxafarian macrumors regular

I don't know what the difference between those two connectors is... they look the same.

But in regards to the male and female thing... look at the connector(s) on the ends of the cable. The end that has the connector with holes is female. The end with pins that plug into a jack is male. Make sense? :)

So on the adapter you linked... the vga end is considered female since it has holes. The cable from your monitor has pins on the end of it so it's 'male'.

4. insurrect thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm i'm not really bothered by the output quality cause im just using it to occasionally watch movie on my tv. im planning to connect it to my tv using a normal monitor vga cable but im unsure which one of the two to get cause it looks similar.

will Mini DisplayPort Male to VGA Female Adapter works?

5. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Does your TV have an audio input jack? If not, do you plan to just use the MBP speakers to listen to the movie? Can't understand why you are preferring to do things the hard way, unless it's just a case of you not wanting to pay for both the Minidisplay cable and an HDMI cable since you have an old style VGA cable already.

6. insurrect thread starter macrumors newbie

hm its act for viewing at my gf's place. all e while we've been connecting a window laptop to the tv thru a vga cable and audio jack cable. but recently both of us change to the new mbp and thus the trouble of me looking for something to connect the mbp so that we can continue watching movies on the tv. hence im looking to retain the setup as i dont plan on buying an HDMI cable just for occasional viewing.

is it safe for me to get the Mini DisplayPort Male to VGA Female Adapter?

hope you guys can help. appreciate it.

7. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Yes the Male MDP to Female VGA adapter will be fine. If you're really concerned spend a little bit extra and get the official Apple one, it's what I have and works fine.