Video out to a tv

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jessebell03, Jan 29, 2008.

1. jessebell03 macrumors newbie

I have a mac pro with 2 20" displays hooked up. I also just got a 32" toshiba tv mounted above those two. I send out video to the tv through a canopus ADVC 110 box so i can do audio editing to video through Pro Tools. It all works great, but now i'm wondering if there's a way that i can send video's from itunes to the tv or watch dvd's from the computer on the big display. Is there a way to do this without buying another video card and using the TV as a 3rd monitor?

thanks

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

With the hardware you have now, I believe basically no; that Canopus unit is essentially a two-way DV codec box, so to output a video to the TV via that you'd need to convert it on the fly to a DV stream.

While there was a demo app a long time ago that would do exactly this (I found it as a proof-of-concept in Apple's developer section at one point when I was trying to do the same thing), it was extremely unstable.

Maybe there's something else around now, but I doubt it, since not many people really want to do that. In lieu of another video card, you could get an eyeTV or something of the sort, which I believe would stand in for one.

3. jessebell03 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply. I figured as much because it's kind of a weird setup i have. I'll look into some other options