Video out...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chumply, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Chumply macrumors newbie

I am using a 15" 2008 MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,1) running Snow Leopard v.10.6.6 which I would like to to connect to my 2003 Sharp Aquos LC-15B4E 15" LCD TV. The TV only has SCART, Component & S Video inputs.

is there a way I can connect the two?

I tried to connect them with bits I had lying about the house:

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter - connected to a HDMI to Component converter box - outputting to the Component inputs on the TV (I have also tried the S. Video input as well)

When I plug the Converter box, via the HDMI converter into the Mini DispalyPort the computer screen flashes as if it has registered it but it isn't listed in the 'Display' within System Preferences. Is there a way I can select it manually. Needles to say I don't get anything on my TV.

Any Advise?

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Check your cables. Make sure at no point you are converting analogue to digital. Your initial mDP to HDMI to Component, sounds all good from that point of view Digital to Digital to Digital. Might be something else im not aware of. Also you will probably want to purchase a mDP to Component/S. Video cable if you can find one.

3. Chumply thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Macsavvytech, Thanks for the reply.

I think the problem lies in the fact that the mac is not picking up the HDMI to Composite converter box and therefore not outputting any signal. I am using a Duronic HDMI cable and the Composite cable that came with the Converter box.

I have on more that one occasion scoured the net for a mDP to composite / s video cable but have ultimately come up short. If you know of anywhere it I would be eternally grateful as it would solve a lot of compatibility problems.

Thanks