Video Out?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 08mxkfx, Aug 6, 2008.

1. 08mxkfx macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Im looking to get an iMac for my house but i was wondering if i can hook it up to another moniter and use them both together? My moniter only has dvi hook up.

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I'm pretty sure you can, but I think you can only set up the screens to mirror. I could be wrong though.

3. shinryu744 macrumors newbie

The Imac has a mini dvi connecter at the back which gives output only, so yea if you bought a mini dvi to dvi adapter, there would be no problems connecting it to your monitor.

4. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

you certainly can just a mini DVI to DVI cable is required -- easily found at any apple reseller.

and it will give you dual monitor support

i run a 19 inch with my 24 inch iMac

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The current iMacs can extend the desktop to added screens. The confusion comes from the iMac G4 which did not allow for extending the desktop, only mirroring.

The MiniDVI to DVI adapter, may only have a DVI-D connector on it, so make sure the cable you use is DVI-D not DVI-I.

TEG

6. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Ah OK. I stand corrected.

7. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

yeah i wasnt sure if i could extend the desktop cause i dont want mirrior. So all i need is a mini dvi- dvi cable and then go to setting or something to set it up?

8. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Yep, that's it. You may not even have to change any settings, it should detect the extra monitor automagically.

If it doesn't then you'll have to change settings, but chances are it will. Macs are cool like that. :cool:

9. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Wrong. All current Macs allow desktop extension on a second monitor. (except Mac Mini which doesn't have internal display, but Mac Mini can use the following).

You can also buy something with DisplayLink to hook up more displays via USB.