Video over FireWire?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arj8138, Jan 12, 2008.

1. arj8138 macrumors member

Hey Mac Community....

So I have tried a couple different ways to use my PowerBook as a TV.

I bought the Elagato [SP] Eye TV and it was terrible quality at full screen.

Currently I use Popcorn 3 to take programs from my TiVo and watch them on my mac. Perfect quality, nothing better/worse then what I see on a SDTV.

No I'm a Final Cut user too and I frequently capture video from an Analog source over FireWire via a conversion box that I have.

I was wondering if there is any software that lets me see [and hear] what I see when I go to Final Cuts Log and Capture screen but w/o FCP and as close to full screen as possible with good quality.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm not sure what you're asking - you're talking about seeing what's coming in on the firewire cable, as opposed to files you've already imported, right?

iChat might work, QuickTime Pro might work, but, as you have FCE (or FC not sure), why not just use it?

3. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Just regarding the Eye-TV... did you set the quality to high? i.e. custom
    That will have an impact on the image you see in realtime. The setting is buried a little in the options.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What about mpegstreamclip? IIRC it can capture footage coming in through FW.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

EyeTV's picture quality depends entirely on the source. I have an Eye TV for DVB-T and the quality is just as good as normal SDTV. Here's a shot:
    [​IMG]

If you buy one of their dodgy tuners for analogue TV then yes, you'll have to spend a long time tuning it and hope you get a good signal.

You might also want to check out Zattoo. They offer a variety of live TV channels over a Peer to Peer network (a very novel idea executed extremely well).

6. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

So Zattoo is another Joost competitor..interesting, although it has nowhere near as many channels as Joost. That makes 5 now.

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Zattoo streams LIVE TV. None of the others do this and it does it much more elegantly than anything else I've seen so it wins there hands down.

8. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Ahh ok. The future is content on demand so I'm curious why they went with an archaic model. But hey, there must be a market for it ;)

As far as El Gato products go, they are very well respected. I'd hardly call them 'dodgy'.

9. arj8138 thread starter macrumors member

I already returned the Eye TV Device, it wasnt worth an extra $100 to just watch stuff in real time.

I think in iChat it shows it backwards right? like if someone else was looking at it. idk though

Im gonna explore some of the other discussed options

10. arj8138 thread starter macrumors member

What I want to do is just watch what is coming in through FireWire, not capture it. FCP lets you see it but not full screen and there is no audio.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s